Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wb6vpm
Binge Watcher

Roku should require that TV manufacturers use Gigabit Ethernet

Personally, I think that as a requirement to use the Roku software on 4K+ TV's, that they should be required to provide a gigabit ethernet port to use, instead of letting the manufacturers get away with the quite useless 10/100 ports that they currently have. Yes, for many people, 10/100 is plenty of bandwidth, but for a large section of us that stream 4K HDR content locally (such as via Plex or other media servers), the streams can exceed 100Mb/s, causing stuttering and buffering issues. If nothing else, require that they use USB 3 and that they allow USB to Ethernet adapters so for those of us that want to be able to use gigabit, we can.

5 REPLIES 5
Tim_Hare
Streaming Star

Re: Roku should require that TV manufacturers use Gigabit Ethernet

This is one of those things that 'the market' might correct. If you write to your manufacturer and ask for Gigabit Ethernet in those TVs, because you view 4K content, and point out that 4K content is becoming more and more prevalent, they will probably switch to Gigabit Ethernet.  The network board manufacturers, also, might have a hand in this as they may stop manufacturing 10/100 boards over time as more people demand faster speeds

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

I stream 4k buffer free on my three Roku TVs via wireless. There is no need for gigabit ethernet port on a Roku TV if you stream everything from the internet, like most of us. 

0 Kudos
puel

Repeated comments like this make me chuckle. Unless you've surveyed "most of us", its a poor claim, and phrases like "doesn't need" or the like are not only condescending, they're examples of bad assumptions. "Most people" might be from a household of more than one person, all with 4k TVs (since you can't really find HD anymore), which makes it even less relevant now. 

Being part of "us", I can say, my plex server puts out between 60 and 86 mbps for a single movie. I would buy 5 new roku devices today if they put out faster adapters. 

Besides, even back in 2022, I would suspect manufacturing a 100 mbps adapter might have been more expensive than 1 gpbs, if only ever a few cents. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Even 8k TVS have 100 mbs ethernet adapters with wireless AC adapters.

0 Kudos
wb6vpm
Binge Watcher

Which I think is stupid, and heck, Roku isn't even bothering to put WiFi 6 in their devices! They're still putting WiFi 5 (802.11ac, unsure if Wave 1 or 2, but probably Wave 1 given the speeds I see when on WiFi) in them! I mean, if you're not going to give us a decent hardline connection, at least give us somewhat current tech WiFi, I mean, WiFi 6 has been in released hardware since at least 2019!

Also, stop limiting the 5GHz channels that our Roku's can be on, give us the DFS channels, and let the AP's deal with it properly if they support it!

0 Kudos