Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squad4

Roku not updating for me, freezing issues?

So my Roku has been acting up where it would freeze, the remote wouldn't respond, it generally would last about an hour or two.

I would unplug the tv, etc trying to get things working.

Once the tv and remote would work, I would quickly, in case it froze again, go to the settings to check for updates, etc, and it would say everything is up to date.
This has been off and on for a few months. These freezing issues would happen. THEN, it would work fine a couple weeks. Then freeze. Then start working again.
Last night the TV froze again... it was late, so I decided to wait until morning, usually it is back to normal after a few hours. But the next morning still stuck, frozen.
I pressed the reset in back, guess for too long and it sent me to factory reset, where the image on the tv was now which language to choose.
Put in new batteries just to be safe.. I have two roku remotes for backup, but neither responded.
So the resetting process, was a slow one, the remote would respond so I can move to the next option, then stop, little by little I got er done.
After that, everything seems to be working great!
Which brings me to my question, Before the factory reset, the Roku software was 11.5... I would manually search for updates and it kept saying it was updated.
But after the reset its now listed as 12.0.0... IS THIS why the issues of freezing were happening ?
I read the 12 os became available in March.
Why didnt my Roku just update to it when I manually checked for updates?
Why after the factory reset, its now finally updated?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku not updating for me, freezing issues?

Hi @squad4,

Welcome and thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We're happy to assist you with your inquiries about the updating of software. Please be advised that Roku devices are designed to run the latest version of software. Your Roku TV or Roku streaming player will check to see whether new software is available for download during initial setup and whenever your Roku device is powered on, and then randomly every 24-36 hours. To perform a software update, your Roku TV or Roku player must have a good connection to the internet. If, for some reason, the connection is unreliable or an unexpected outage exists, your Roku device may be unable to update to the latest software. It is possible that the Roku service may be temporarily unresponsive. In some cases, You can still manually check for a software update on your Roku device.

Best regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.