Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hernan1

Roku device not recognizing Xfinity hotspot

Jump to solution

Hi,

I just moved into a new apartment and I purchased access to an Xfinity hotspot.

My phones and that of my kid all connected successfully.

However I booted up my Roku Express and it persistently won't see the Xfinity WiFi signal.

Any advice or help appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku device not recognizing Xfinity hotspot

Jump to solution

@hernan1 

When you say you "purchased access to an Xfinity hotspot", are you trying to connect to as hotspot owned/provided by the apartment complex?

A couple of years ago, Xfinity disabled the 2.4ghz bands of public/commercial hotspots by default.  The "owner" of the public hotspot had to request from Xfinity that it be enabled.  It could be that your apartment complex is using this configuration.  You could talk to apartment complex, or call Xfinity and give them the hotspot address and they should be able to confirm if this is the issue.

From your Roku device, go to Settings/System/About.  If you see any other model other than Roku Express 3960, then your device is 2.4ghz-only capable.  The Roku Express 3960 is dual band (2.4ghz and 5ghz capable).

Easiest remedy may be to just purchase a 5ghz capable Roku device (Roku Express 3960 or Roku Express 4k+ 3941) that is capable of 5ghz connection. (All the newer devices listed at  https://www.roku.com/products/players are now dual-band.)

-----

Other avenues to explore is to use an "ad-hoc" network.  You can use a laptop to connect to the Xfinity hotspot, and then connect the Roku to the laptop's network signal. (basically, the laptop will broadcast a hotspot signal that the Roku, and other devices can share and connect to.)

I have also tested out some Verizon and T-Mobile 5G Gateways/Home Internet (basically mobile hotspot devices) and their plans are pretty reasonable so maybe can purchase one and have your own hotspot (rather than paying to share a connection with others).  The other benefit of an owned device is the ability to do some configuration on your own.  Essentially, the above 5G hotspots are plug-and-play (very easy to setup).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku device not recognizing Xfinity hotspot

Jump to solution

@hernan1 

When you say you "purchased access to an Xfinity hotspot", are you trying to connect to as hotspot owned/provided by the apartment complex?

A couple of years ago, Xfinity disabled the 2.4ghz bands of public/commercial hotspots by default.  The "owner" of the public hotspot had to request from Xfinity that it be enabled.  It could be that your apartment complex is using this configuration.  You could talk to apartment complex, or call Xfinity and give them the hotspot address and they should be able to confirm if this is the issue.

From your Roku device, go to Settings/System/About.  If you see any other model other than Roku Express 3960, then your device is 2.4ghz-only capable.  The Roku Express 3960 is dual band (2.4ghz and 5ghz capable).

Easiest remedy may be to just purchase a 5ghz capable Roku device (Roku Express 3960 or Roku Express 4k+ 3941) that is capable of 5ghz connection. (All the newer devices listed at  https://www.roku.com/products/players are now dual-band.)

-----

Other avenues to explore is to use an "ad-hoc" network.  You can use a laptop to connect to the Xfinity hotspot, and then connect the Roku to the laptop's network signal. (basically, the laptop will broadcast a hotspot signal that the Roku, and other devices can share and connect to.)

I have also tested out some Verizon and T-Mobile 5G Gateways/Home Internet (basically mobile hotspot devices) and their plans are pretty reasonable so maybe can purchase one and have your own hotspot (rather than paying to share a connection with others).  The other benefit of an owned device is the ability to do some configuration on your own.  Essentially, the above 5G hotspots are plug-and-play (very easy to setup).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.