Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chels6716
Reel Rookie

Roku connection with Alexa

I bought an echo show few days ago and my Alexa does not respond with my roku tv, I don’t know what to do,the echo just says okay and doesn’t do anything

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku connection with Alexa

Hi @chels6716,

Greetings and welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to the Community, and we're more than glad to assist you. Since you want to connect your Alexa to your Roku TV successfully, we recommend visiting this support article for more information to configure the setup you would like: How to use Amazon Alexa to control your Roku streaming device

Please let us know what you find out.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
chels6716
Reel Rookie

I did all of that and still doesn’t work but the Roku is technically connected but the echo isn’t controlling it

0 Kudos
RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @chels6716,

Thank you for keeping us updated!

We completely understand that you're having an issue with your Alexa on your TV. 

Before using the Roku skill for Alexa, ensure your Roku device runs Roku OS 9.1 or higher. You can find the software version by visiting Settings > System > About. Your Roku device checks for an update every 24-36 hours, or you can manually check for a software update if needed.

In addition to a compatible Roku player or Roku TV with the correct software, you will need the following:

• A free Roku account
  • An Alexa-enabled device such as an Amazon Echo, Echo Show, Echo Dot, Echo Spot, Echo Plus, or third-party device with Amazon Alexa
  • Alexa mobile app downloaded to your iOS or Android device.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks, 

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
mstock

I did all of what is previously stated and it still doesn't work. My Roku TV shows linked to the Roku app skill in Alexa and my Roku is running software version 12.0.0. Both my Alexa and my Roku TV are on the same WiFi frequency. There should be no reason why this shouldn't be working, yet it does not. Very disappointed with Roku. May have to consider a Google TV device instead.

henrymamar
Reel Rookie

Ensure both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network, then try disabling and re-enabling the Roku skill in the Alexa app to troubleshoot the connection issue and enhance responsiveness between your Echo Show and Roku TV.

0 Kudos
DavidJr
Channel Surfer

I’m having the same exact issue and I’ve done everything as well. I’ve restarted my modem, I’ve factory reset all devices, I’ve triple checked for software updates daily, made sure they were both in the same WiFI, like literally everything and it says my TV is connected. Yet when I try to use my echo show to do anything on My TV it says my “Roku isn’t responding”. I’ve contacted Roku support multiple different times and they have not helped at all. They keep giving me the run around. I’ve been dealing with this since Oct 20th and still nothing 

0 Kudos
henrymamar
Reel Rookie

To troubleshoot the issue with your Echo Show not responding to your Roku TV, you can try the following steps:

1. Check Device Compatibility: Ensure that both your Echo Show and Roku TV are compatible with each other. Some older models may not have full compatibility.

2. Device Discovery: Make sure that your Echo Show has discovered your Roku TV. You can check this in the Alexa app. Go to Devices > Echo & Alexa > [Your Echo Show] > Devices and see if your Roku TV is listed.

3. Skill Activation: Ensure that you have the Roku skill enabled in the Alexa app. Open the Alexa app, go to Skills & Games, and search for Roku. Enable the Roku skill and follow the instructions to link your accounts.

4. Voice Command Structure: When giving voice commands, make sure you're using the correct syntax. For example, saying "Alexa, turn on Roku" or "Alexa, play [content] on Roku."

5. Network Connection: Check if both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. They need to be on the same network for communication to work.

6. Device Names: Ensure that the names you've given to your devices are distinct and easy for Alexa to recognize. Complicated names may lead to confusion.

7. Reboot Devices: Try rebooting both your Echo Show and Roku TV. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues.

8. Firmware Updates: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your Echo Show and Roku TV. Keeping devices up to date can sometimes resolve compatibility issues.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, you may want to reach out to Amazon Echo and Roku support for further assistance.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.