Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam0859
Reel Rookie

Roku TV keeps returning to the home screen while playing videos.

Jump to solution

I have a TCL 55-inch Roku TV that has worked fine for two years, but starting today it will kick me out of streaming apps and return to the home screen after streaming videos for one or two minutes. This is happening on both YouTube and Prime Video. I have turned off and restarted the TV, Wi-Fi router, and Spectrum cable modem numerous times to no avail.

My TV is a TCL model C158X Roku TV

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku TV keeps returning to the home screen while playing videos.

Jump to solution

Hi @sam0859,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with the streaming channels on your Roku TV since it will kick you off to the home screen. We're happy to help. Please follow these steps:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System Restart.

If the problem still persists, you can also check this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue

Hope it works and please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue. Mainly with Netflix.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @sam0859,

We understand that you're having a problem with the streaming channels on your Roku TV since it will kick you off to the home screen. We're happy to help. Please follow these steps:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System Restart.

If the problem still persists, you can also check this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue

Hope it works and please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tridion
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having the very same issue on a 65” tcl 4k hdr Roku tv.  Just started past day or two after working great for over 3.5 years.   Tried restarts, uninstall / reinstall of YouTube app, tv is on Roku OS 12

0 Kudos
Tridion
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Also tried a restart between uninstall and reinstall.   No good.  

Model: C103X Roku TV

issue id: 86-253-009

0 Kudos
sam0859
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I have already tried the suggested steps two times, but the problem persists.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Tridion,

We understand that you're having a problem with your Roku TV. You seem to have done plenty of fantastic troubleshooting at this point. We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.)

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tridion
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks @RokuJohnB - I sent the requested information in a message to you - didn't feel like I should post serial numbers / device IDs publicly.

0 Kudos
HD_Queen
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm also having issues with my Roku TV kicking me out of the Youtube app and going back to the home screen after watching a video for a minute or two. I've noticed that it tends to do this when I'm watching a video in 4K resolution. When I change it to 1080p, the problem seems to stop. I know it has nothing to do with my internet connection. It's fast.

Here are my TV stats:

Roku model: TCL 43S435

Serial Number: X00000RKPWMY

Device ID: S02ST14KPWMY

Software OS/Version: 12.0.0 build 4182-93

0 Kudos
Amineox

Jump to solution

I have a RR32HD1 Model with a software version: 12.5.0 build 4176-EA and I have the same issue, it kick me out of streaming apps and return to the home screen. And this problem is happening on both YouTube and Netflix. I have turned off the tv and restarted it many times but the problem persists any suggestions please? 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.