Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slake2074
Reel Rookie

Roku TV can no longer connect to 5G internet

Jump to solution

My 50" TCL Roku TV has connected to the 5G internet signal for years. Now, it can't even find it. I've rebooted the TV and the router. Every other device connects to and locates 5G just fine. Why would Roku suddenly stop seeing the 5G?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku can no longer connect to 5G internet

Jump to solution

@slake2074 

There are a few possibilities.

1. The RokuTV may not be able to find the network if the router has switched to an incompatible 5ghz Wireless channel.  Roku cannot see or use DFS channels (52-140). 

2. The RokuTV wifi module may have failed.  If your RokuTV can still see the 2.4ghz band, then you can likely rule this out.  If you go to Settings/Network/About and see a MAC address, then you are good to go.  If your MAC address is all zeros (00), then there is an issue with the wifi module.

3. The RokuTV is just having an issue recognizing the 5ghz radio.  Try performing a System Restart (Settings/System/Power/System Restart) or try a Network Connection Reset (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).

----

If you can still connect to the 2.4ghz band, then I would look at the first possibility. (DFS channel usage).  The remedy for this is to either Disable DFS in your router, or manually assign a Wireless Channel on the 5ghz band to use 36-48 or 149-161. If you are sure your router does not use DFS, then you can leave set to Auto, but recommended to manually assign a channel during troubleshooting to see if it resolves issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@slake2074-

Your wifi router may have swiched to a wifi channel not visible to your Roku TV.

The nine 5 GHz channels supported by Roku devices and TVs are 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161, and 165.

The channels assigned to the 5 GHz band in ranges 50-64 and 100-144 are shared with other uses such as military, radar, and weather. These channels are termed DFS (dynamic frequency selection) channels and routers are supposed to automatically switch to a different channel if they detect one of these channels is in use in your area. Roku and many other home use devices avoid this whole issue by not supporting these DFS channels.

Many home routers don't include DFS channels, but some do. Make sure your router is not using these DFS channels, and that it is not using an auto select option that could choose a DFS channel.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@slake2074 

There are a few possibilities.

1. The RokuTV may not be able to find the network if the router has switched to an incompatible 5ghz Wireless channel.  Roku cannot see or use DFS channels (52-140). 

2. The RokuTV wifi module may have failed.  If your RokuTV can still see the 2.4ghz band, then you can likely rule this out.  If you go to Settings/Network/About and see a MAC address, then you are good to go.  If your MAC address is all zeros (00), then there is an issue with the wifi module.

3. The RokuTV is just having an issue recognizing the 5ghz radio.  Try performing a System Restart (Settings/System/Power/System Restart) or try a Network Connection Reset (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).

----

If you can still connect to the 2.4ghz band, then I would look at the first possibility. (DFS channel usage).  The remedy for this is to either Disable DFS in your router, or manually assign a Wireless Channel on the 5ghz band to use 36-48 or 149-161. If you are sure your router does not use DFS, then you can leave set to Auto, but recommended to manually assign a channel during troubleshooting to see if it resolves issue.

slake2074
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku can no longer connect to 5G internet - SOLVED

Jump to solution

Thank you all so much ! It was the DFS channels. I have  Verizon Fios. I went on the MyFios app and selected Advanced Settings. Then I clicked on DFS Channels and disabled it. 5G showed up on the Roku immediately.

Rudy0517

Jump to solution

Thank you so much, this was driving me crazy. Once I switched to a different channel the SSID showed up. 👍

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

How do I change my router to not a DFS Chanel or not using an auto select option that could choose a DFS channel?

with thanks

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@EmmanuelWanda1, you need to log into your router's admin panel.  There's usually a sticker on the side telling you how to do that or some ISPs have an app.  Post your iSP (Internet service provider) and the make and model number of your router if you need more help.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@EmmanuelWanda1 

If you are Verizon FIOS customer you will need to disable DFS by going into your my fios app on your phone and tap, internet, advanced settings, then tap DFS to disable.

0 Kudos
Chefstickyfinge
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku TV can no longer connect to 5G internet

Jump to solution

I have a 3920X roku and I can not see 5 ghz networks. I have tried every channel and none show up. I have rebooted the roku, reset network, rebooted my network, and factory reset the roku. I can connect with my 2.4 ghz networks.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Re: Roku TV can no longer connect to 5G internet

Jump to solution

@Chefstickyfinge 

The Roku Premiere (3920) is only 2.4 ghz capable. (operates only on the 2.4 ghz band). You will not be able to use this device on the 5ghz band of your network.