Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ringsabre
Channel Surfer

Re: Peacock channel keeps crashing on my Roku tv. Frustrating.

No, "move channel" is simply to move the icon to a different location on the menu screen, so you can reorder the channels to your liking.

0 Kudos
dreamer104
Channel Surfer

@ringsabre Oh that makes sense, I've never seen that before LOL.  Well I hope they read about that problem and address it; and then fix both of the problems for us all.  The remove-restart-reinstall hasn't worked out for many of us so far, so all of it needs to be fixed.  Especially since it seems so many of us are premium subscribers too.  That is nuts that the group that pays for the channel is the one having all the trouble. I imagine there are many others that don't come to the forums that are probably pulling their hair out over this also.  Hope you have fabulous holidays this year.   

0 Kudos
ringsabre
Channel Surfer

I believe it is ultimately a memory issue-- I suspect that Peacock has a higher memory demand on our systems than other channels, for whatever technical reasons that may be (I'm not a techie, I just know what I know). So to that end I have tinkered with improving the physical signal connection: my Roku receiver is precariously perched atop a paper towel tube, leaning into a Christmas cactus*, where it has a better line-of-sight to the router in the kitchen. Further, I stretched the router out further so that its line-of-sight was also improved. This has significantly improved the situation, though it's not perfect.

So my conclusion is that Peacock is a badly engineered streaming channel that has too high memory demands and this is what causes the glitching/freezing/crashing. Doing all you can to increase the signal strength seems the only remedy at this point. That, and burdensomely rebooting your system frequently, as needed.

*Footnote: No buds yet, but hopeful y the Christmas cactus will bloom this holiday season; it's had a strange summer because our new kitten started eating it, and we had to relocate it outside for a few months. I wonder how that inconsistency of climate (inside-outside-inside) will impact it's blooming schedule? 🙂

0 Kudos
dreamer104
Channel Surfer

Interesting on the memory theory, but it makes sense.  I think I am giving up on Peacock once my year is up. I purchased it by the year, instead of monthly, so I'm stuck with it unless I want to just take the loss. There are far too many other streaming channels to choose from to keep paying for one that gives you grief. 

I was just reading about Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter cacti the other day, and when to bring them inside and how much darkness they need to make them bud.  It stated they need complete darkness from 5pm to 8am in the fall after you bring them inside, so maybe yours will be blooming soon.  Good luck and I hope kitty doesn't munch down on it again now that it is inside.  I had to keep mine out of reach of my cats for the same reason, and that can get tricky since they can really get up to almost anywhere. 

0 Kudos
Shakes1
Reel Rookie

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with a memory issue. I have a TCL Roku TV, Samsung phone, and Chromebook and I have the exact same issue with Peacock on all 3. I think it's just a build issue. On a side note, Peacock was voted as the WORST streaming service out there recently. It's just too bad because there's a lot on there I'd love to watch, but until the coders learn to make it run w/out hiccups I'm done with it. 

0 Kudos
ringsabre
Channel Surfer

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with a memory issue

OK. I was just guessing, and I'm grateful for your input. It's funny that you're pointing out that Peacock was rated the worst because I was literally just telling my wife about 2 hours ago that "Peacock is easily the worst of all the channels we have". So that's some timely corroboration!  🙂

Thanks!

0 Kudos
dreamer104
Channel Surfer

@Shakes1 so you access Peacock without going through a ROKU on your phone or Chromebook, and it still does it!? I thought it was maybe a compatibility issue with the ROKU, but seems it is strictly the app itself anywhere you access it, if I am understanding you correctly.  That cinches it then, I am cancelling once my year is up, and I really wish I had done month to month now.  

0 Kudos
Shakes1
Reel Rookie

@dreamer104 exactly! My chromebook doesn't really like/use apps. I access Philo through Chrome, along with several other streaming services. When it all first started I started researching how to fix it. It's then I realized I wasn't the only one. Peacock was built by Comcast coders and they apparently don't have a very positive reputation as it is. I 100% believe the problem is in how the app/site was built and to fix it would mean a total refresh of both. There's no way they're going to rebuild the site so we, the consumer are stuck with it. I quit paying for it and I don't even access the freemium stuff anymore. 

Shakes1
Reel Rookie

@ringsabre I like to back up what I say and this may be of interest to all. Here's the link to an article about the study and the streaming services rated...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247wallst.com/media/2021/11/12/crackle-is-americas-worst-streaming-serv...

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

For those that run into the problem of the inability to Remove a Channel, like Peacock with the normal * button, you can try the alternative method of using the Roku Search or Streaming Channels Search and then try removing channel from that submenu.

Using Search or Streaming Channels Search

1. Type in Peacock TV

2. When appears in Search, press either Right Arrow or press OK

3. Should be presented menu (Go to Channel, Remove Channel, View Screenshots, My Rating, Give Us Feedback)

4. Select Remove Channel.

5. Restart Roku

6. Reinstall PeacockTV if you want.

I am sure this will not fix the crashing PeacockTV behavior as this has been a persistant issue since its release.  But at least you should be able to Remove this channel whether to try the Uninstall, Restart, Reinstall procedure or to simply Remove it for good. 

There are some channels that will require you to cancel the subscription first before removing the Channel from the Home Screen.  (Prevents people from merely deleting the Channel while thinking they deleted their subscription also).   Of course, also hinders those trying to reinstall the channel when a problem develops.

It really is due to the coding of the Peacock Channel/app.  As such, everyone with issues just need to keep pressing Peacock to fix their Channel/app.  Send them the device model numbers, RokuOS, and a description of the errors you are encountering.  Honestly, though, they have released multiple updates and many previous users have decided just not worth the headache of this Channel.  Works fine on some devices, others...not so much.

Hopefully the above method will still work for those with paid subscriptions.  Should definitely work for those using the free subscription.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos