Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: My screen is black with sound help

Jump to solution

Hi, @Kris86 

Welcome to the Roku Community.

We see that you're having the same issue with the black screen display issue while the sound is working, as reported by Roku TV users in this thread. Kindly refer to @'s post above this thread. If the information describes the exact behavior of your TV, it's best to reach out to TCL directly since they'll be able to provide you with the support you need.

If you have further concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Slfoster73

Jump to solution

My tcl Roku tv has also out of nowhere went to a black screen with sound. Can someone explain to me why this is happening to so many tv’s all of a sudden? What can I do to fix it? I can’t afford to buy a new one and I shouldn’t have to 😡. There has to be a solution other than turning it off and on 

Slfoster73

Jump to solution

Still happening to mine and it’s a tcl

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Slfoster73, I wouldn't say it's all of a sudden.  You'll see "black screen" threads going back the last several years.  These cheap TVs seem to have a problem with their backlight hardware.  As I've noted previously, if you can shine a bright light on your TV and see a picture, your backlight has most likely failed.  It has nothing to do with it being a "Roku TV".  They can be repaired if you can find the parts (check ebay) and are handy and not afraid of electronics.  Research "TCL backlight" and you'll find plenty of people with the same problem.  I don't think it helps that every TV I've seen lately comes with the brightness set to the highest level.  Sometimes setting the brightness to a lower level will get the picture to return, but I have a feeling that's a temporary solution at best.  I'll note that every time I help someone set up a TV the first thing I do after setup is completed is to turn down the brightness.  I can't say if it has helped, but it certainly can't hurt.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

Black screen can not fix nothing works

Jump to solution

The owner of Roku know full well that there's a problem with the screen blacking out and will do nothing unless the warranty is still good but if you have had the TV for longer then a year they want you to pay out of pocket to fix it this is a scam people since the owners know about it. It is on them to pay to have it fixed otherwise more people will be cheated out of their hard earned money to fix a problem that the owners know full well about and did nothing about. 

DanieWild
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

....my Samsung just started doing the same thing 

0 Kudos
DanieWild
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Everything else like channel guide etc is showing up fine, so I'm thinking it's not the TV 

0 Kudos
Lparga

Jump to solution

I been seeing people having this issue all over the Internet...so your saying If what I described is happening then this is trash? ...this is terrible....I'm a broke mom n just bought that TV for my family for Christmas...wth???

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It isn't the TV, it is a software issue.  It is 100% a Roku issue, not a TV model issue, that is why it is reported by customers with different TV brands and models.  It is most likely a firmware issue and I'm not sure why Roku won't just acknowledge this.  1 solution would be to allow customers to turn off auto updates, as it is obvious that some Roku software update is causing the issue.

0 Kudos
Wolfette

Jump to solution

Mine as well I tried the flashlight test and I can't see anything but can hear it

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.