Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rblanken3
Binge Watcher

Lost Ability to Navigate “channels/apps”

I have a Roku TV Model 50S535, purchased Sept 2020. We’ve had no issues until this week and it’s now impossible to navigate to any of our apps. It is NOT a remote problem: the issues are identical if I use the digital remote on my iPad AND I purchased a brand new remote just to exclude that as the problem.  We have unplugged the TV 3 times, waiting 60-120 seconds before plugging back. We have restarted through the Settings Menu.  We have cleared the cache so many times its belly is close to growling from being emptied. Once in a long while I’ve been able to select a channel but something entirely different shows up.  Also, because the Options button remains grayed out, we can’t delete anything, even if we wanted to.  Basically, we’ve followed every recommendation except a factory reset, which I would love to avoid.  Any other things to try?

16 REPLIES 16
PawPawRon
Streaming Star

Re: Lost Ability to Navigate “channels/apps”

You may wish to begin following the thread that another person started a few days ago who is having the same issue - I have been adding my comments to it as well and have also contacted Roku support. They got back to me this morning with suggestions that revolved around the remote being the issue despite the fact I stated in my support ticket that I have a generic remote also paired with the Roku unit and it too has the very same issue of not being able to navigate the Home menu - here is a link to that thread:

Re: Unable to select channel on Home screen - Roku Community

Rblanken3
Binge Watcher

Thank you.  I am now following your similar Roku issue.  In my initial problem description I did not mention that we had also checked multiple times to see that our system was running the latest software version. Each time there was no update version given.  Today, when I saw the latest version identified in another post, I could tell that our 10.5.0 / Build 4210 was outdated.  I have attempted multiple time to download the latest (now identified) software.  Frustrating on multiple levels!

I can not get the system to update.  I’ve unplugged the TV and I’ve restarted the TV through the System.  Nothing!

I know I have ample (very ample) internet connectivity through my wired connection, so that issue can be excluded.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Rblanken3, did you also get rolled back to 10.5 to solve some issue a while back like @PawPawRon ?  It appears that once you get on some kind of "rolled back" list you're stuck on it forever.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Rblanken3
Binge Watcher

Oh no.  Yes!!  I am on Ver# 10.5.0 / Build 4210.  Not good.

You write, “It appears that once you get on some kind of "rolled back" list you're stuck on it forever.”

How does this get corrected???

0 Kudos
Rblanken3
Binge Watcher

I will add that I keep seeing “Last updated Dec 23, 2022.”  And then just a forever spin when I select Update Now.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Rblanken3, someone like @RokuDanny-R will have to help you with why you can't update beyond 10.5.  He should see this and respond.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
PawPawRon
Streaming Star

It would be great if  @RokuDanny-R would read this post and the other one I referred you to above but it is doubtful based on my latest reply from the email support. 

Basically they stated "It seems to be an issue with the hardware of the device." and offered a discount to purchase a new unit.

As I have stated previously, our unit is only 3 years and 2 months old and the only issue is the inability to navigate the Roku home menu. We will continue to use as-is because even with the discount they offered, we would be spending more money to replace the current unit than we paid to buy it on a special after Thanksgiving sale in 2019. When it or the remote finally give out completely then we will look at other streaming devices. I understand Comcast is coming out with their own device to compete with Roku later this year so that may be an option.

Rblanken3
Binge Watcher

WOW.... J U S T   W O W !!! 

You write, "Basically they stated 'It seems to be an issue with the hardware of the device,' and offered a discount to purchase a new unit."

I am a 75-year-old grandmother... and I only mention this to confirm the fact that I have been through more technology migrations and upgrades and updates than those who may not be able to envision a time when telephones were on walls and you had to use an attached hand crank to call a neighbor.

NEVER.... and I mean NEVER have I encountered a technology company with this kind of abhorrent customer service.

I regret--and I truly mean this-- I regret having to push ROKU to the bottom of any list of companies who pretend to value its customers.

Now... should Roku offer to replace my TV with one that will work with its most recent update, that might take it up a notch or two----but I'll not hold my breath.

@RokuDanny-R

Ruth

Indianapolis

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

As @renojim mentioned, it would appear that you are on a very old OS which can possibly be why you are experiencing this issue as the previous OS was 11.0 and you are still on OS 10.5.

Can you please provide the device serial number/device ID on your Roku device and we can make sure your Roku device is updated to the latest OS.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos