Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjproven

IP Address Stolen Roku TV

Jump to solution

Is there a way to track the IP address of my Roku TV when someone activates the Guest Mode? My TV was stolen and wondering if it can be tracked. Thank you 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: IP Address Stolen Roku TV

Jump to solution

IP address won't cut it. That is assigned on each network, and sometimes varies within the same network, depending on the network configuration. What you're looking for is the MAC address.

If you have the serial number of the Roku TV, file a police report, and they should get notified if someone pawns it, or if it's otherwise recovered in an action.

Apart from that, it'll be nearly impossible to locate. I don't know if Roku can disable the device based on MAC address or serial number. Even if they could, they'd need a whole bunch of proof it's your device, to include a police report.

If they do a factory reset of the Roku TV, it will come out of Guest Mode. I wish I could give you better news.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes

Jump to solution

IP address won't cut it. That is assigned on each network, and sometimes varies within the same network, depending on the network configuration. What you're looking for is the MAC address.

If you have the serial number of the Roku TV, file a police report, and they should get notified if someone pawns it, or if it's otherwise recovered in an action.

Apart from that, it'll be nearly impossible to locate. I don't know if Roku can disable the device based on MAC address or serial number. Even if they could, they'd need a whole bunch of proof it's your device, to include a police report.

If they do a factory reset of the Roku TV, it will come out of Guest Mode. I wish I could give you better news.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes it's possible Netflix will help you.

0 Kudos
LaRayne

Jump to solution

How can Netflix help? I’m trying to locate my stolen tv and I called it in to police and pawn shops but nothing yet they also have my car and police won’t do anything so this is my best bet

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@LaRayne 

I believe pawn shops are required to record serial numbers of TVs, so if a police report was filed, they'll have the information. However, with it seeming to be (based on your description) a lower priority for your local law enforcement, you may want to visit the pawn shops yourself and provide the serial numbers. They may or may not accept the information since it's not from law enforcement, but it's worth a shot.

Also, if the TV is still tied to your Roku account -- go to https://my.roku.com and scroll to the bottom -- they are able to add and remove apps, as well as make purchases or subscriptions. You may want to add a PIN to the account to stop purchases or new app addition.

DBDukes

0 Kudos