Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamboree

How to upload a custom screensaver for Roku TV if that option doesn't appear on the Roku iOS app?

I have a Roku TV (i.e. a television with Roku built in). Then I downloaded the Roku Mobile App to my new iPhone. I was able to connect the mobile app to the TV :"device" successfully, and log in to my account. No problem so far. According to online instructions, the only way to get a custom screensaver image onto my TV is by using the mobile app, connecting to the "device," clicking on the "Media" icon, and then choosing "Screensaver" from the list of options. HOWEVER, on my app, the option "Screensaver" doesn't exist -- the "Media" tab just lists "Music," "Pictures" and "Video" as the options to upload. All the screenshots online of this part of the app show that there is supposed to be a fourth option, "Screensaver" -- but it's not there in my app (v. 8.2.0.4 -- downloaded today, so it's the latest).

Questions: Where/how can I access the "Screensaver" option under "Media" in the Roku app?

If that's not possible: Is there any other way to upload a custom screensaver image to my Roku TV?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: How to upload a custom screensaver for Roku TV if that option doesn't appear on the Roku iOS app

There is no custom screensaver at this point. With the release of Roku OS 11 (when your tv gets it) you will be able to make a custom screensaver. Read about Roku OS 11 here 

https://www.roku.com/blog/roku-os-11

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to upload a custom screensaver for Roku TV if that option doesn't appear on the Roku iOS app

@jamboree 

This custom screensaver feature through the mobile device app does work on most Apple and Android devices.  However, it is not available to "all" mobile devices. (mine included).  You should see under Media the options of Music, Photos, Videos, and Screensaver.  If you are missing Screensaver option, then not available due to the mobile device's OS build.

As mentioned, a future update to Roku OS 11 will include PhotoStreams for this.

Currently, though, if you want to use a Custom Screensaver on your Roku device or RokuTV, you can try installing Google's PhotoView to your Roku. (https://channelstore.roku.com/details/637cbf48183a52820a32e8a7a8ff865a/photoview-for-google-photos)

This will allow you to browse your photos on your Roku device as well as use them for your Screensaver.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

spaulgal

Thanks for this thread. 

We are also a 20-room boutique hotel. Guest mode (n concept( is great, but I do not think it's for us given that we have paid apps that we subscribe to for guests. Those apps  would not be easily accessible in Guest Mode. 

Right now we use Roku TVs and have PINs set so guests are prevented from adding apps or making charges on the account. It's a system that works, but it definitely has its holes. Guest can mess with the settings and even defeat the PIN if they download and use the app. 

What are other options hotels that wish to offer certain apps in a seamless and clear way to guests (customization and splash screens are a plus!)

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.