Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cleese74

How to migrate to a new ROKU player

I currently have a 4210-X Roku 2. Obviously, Ive had it for a while, lol Its full of my apps, everything is logged in, and all settings are how I want them. Ive bought an Ultra, so I can get 4K. Im wondering if there is a way to migrate all apps and logins to the new Ultra, without having to individually download them all. I have a lot of apps and I wont be able to look at both Rokus at the same time, so Im wondering if I have to go through and make a list of the old apps, to then individually search and install them on the new one? TIA!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to migrate to a new ROKU player

Installed apps are tied to your Roku account, not the device, so as long as you link the new Ultra to the same Roku account all of your apps that were installed on the Roku 2 should automatically be installed on the Ultra.  I think there may be some exceptions with some old games (Angry Birds comes to mind), but I'm not sure.  If you're not sure what email address you used on the Roku 2, you can see it under Settings->System->About.  Don't set up a new Roku account.

Now the bad news...

Your apps will be installed, but they'll show up in a random order on your Home Screen.  Some logins are tied to your Roku account, but some are not and you may have to log in again on some of them.  Subscriptions purchased through Roku are tied to your Roku account and will automatically be available (pretty much the only advantage I can think of for subscribing to anything through Roku).  Any settings having to do with the screensaver, Home Screen, network, display, audio, and probably other things I can't think of are tied to the device, so you'll have to set them up again if you've changed anything from the defaults.

One other thing:  if you're planning on getting rid of the Roku 2 (there's no reason why you can't keep using it on another TV), make sure you factory reset it and remove it from your Roku account at https://my.roku.com .

How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.