Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy89888
Reel Rookie

Re: Black screen tcl roku tv

Jump to solution

Bought Sharp with Roku TV.  It went black after 17 months.  I tried unplugging, resetting but nothing helped.  Will never buy another Roku TV.  

Spencerx9

Tv has sound but black screen

Jump to solution

So I’ve tried everything from unplugging my TV waiting 30 seconds to 1 min factory resetting it but my screen is still black with only the sound. When it turns on the sensors at the bottom blink it shows blues screen then it goes black. I’ve tried everything is my TV broken? I’ve only had it for going on 6 months.

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Tv has sound but black screen

Jump to solution

1. It's possible you have a hardware failure, but it's also possible (I'd say, more probable since this happens so much) that your tv was broken by one of Roku's famous untested updates. You can narrow this down by doing the factory reset again, but tell the setup you don't have internet. It will use the software version it came with. You can then go to home>settings>network to setup your connection. Roku will eventually (automatically) check for an update in the ensuing 24-48 hours.

If your tv works again (then stops again). I'd be thinking about topics like class action. (They have a mac addr all zeroes problem due to a badly designed wifi board they've known about for years, and are still using without amendment. There's tons of reasons why people should be thinking about litigation.).

2. Since you're one of the fortunate Roku customers to have breakage occur while still in warranty, I would open a warranty claim regardless of whether it's hardware or Roku's recklessness.

TV manufacturers commonly point the finger at Roku, telling affected customers to take up their problem with Roku (a few moments reading this forum should show how pointless that exercise is). However, your relationship is with the TV manufacturer. You bought their tv, They have a licensed relationship with Roku. If they have a problem with Roku breaking in-warranty tvs, let them take it up with Roku. (This is another reason litigation should be on people's minds. Evading warranties is very serious business.).

Anyway, my finer points on this topic may seem out of place to you. If so, you could just do #2. But, it would be interesting to myself and others if #1 shows that an untested update did it to you. There's an awful lot of that going on around here. It could happen to you later, even after your black screen is fixed. You might want to rule it out for your own preparedness.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
12thman1979
Streaming Star

Re: Tv has sound but black screen

Jump to solution

@Spencerx9 

Yes, this is the black screen failure everyone else has experienced with TCL televisions. Usually happens between 12 and 18 months after purchase.  

What brand television do you have? If it is a TCL you are out of luck. 

0 Kudos
12thman1979
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Andy89888 

Interesting that this happened with a Sharp television as well. 90% or more of these complaints have been related to TCL televisions. 

0 Kudos
Jsesterly

Jump to solution

I’m having the very same problem except my 75in is only 5 months old. After 30 min on the phone with tech support from TCL they tell me... they are going to send a repairman... 7-10 business days.  Seriously??    

here are some of the things they tried and didn’t work, maybe it will work for you.. 

1. there is a small round power reset just behind the light at the bottom. Unplug TV, and hold in button for 20 sec, plug back in. 
2. use something small.. pen.. and push the reset button (next to the tv inputs) for 7-10 sec. 

(I also did the remote reset .. home5, up, RR&FF)

beyond mad. I’ll never buy this tv again.  

0 Kudos
12thman1979
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Jsesterly 

If you read some of the other posts; you will wait two weeks or so for some local handyman to show up and say they cannot fix the television and you need a new one. Then you will wait another two weeks or so for a new unit to arrive. TCL knows most people will not go a month without a television, and that many people will give up.

Hotwingshot
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’d like it noted that my set is 15 month old and also garbage. Black screen with sound. Tried the controller reset and unplugged for 15 mins

0 Kudos
Andy89888
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I was able to fix my with replacing the board.  It’s pretty easy to do and only took 30 minutes after buying this part.

Hotwingshot
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Which board Power Supply/LED DRIVER board?

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.