Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aredden1

How do I fix my TCL Roku tv Black screen/ dim light

My daughter was watching tv and all of a sudden the screen went black, we can still hear everything but the screen was black . I’ve only had this tv for 6 months so I’m confused as to what is going on. 

I’ve tried holding the power button on the both the remote and the tv to reset, I’ve unplugged it , I’ve used the reset button on the back of the tv, I’ve changed the picture mode using the dictation to movie, I’ve factory reset it and nothing seems to work. When I turn on the tv you can see the red screen for just a split second before it goes dark. You can tell the tv is a low dim cause at a certain angle you can see the words on the screen very faintly . 

what should I do 

13 REPLIES 13
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I fix my TCL Roku tv Black screen/ dim light

It sounds like your backlight has failed.  It's time to call TCL.

Where can I get support for my Roku TV™? | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
KayCrawford
Reel Rookie

I’m having a similar issue. Five month old Roku TV and the screen keeps randomly going black. It’s almost like it’s going into standby mode. I can still hear everything but no picture just black screen. I can turn the power off and then back on and it’s working fine for a little while. Then goes black again. It’s very frustrating. 

Kay

0 Kudos
renojim

@KayCrawford, when it happens can you see the picture if you shine a bright light on the TV?  You might want to try turning down the brightness to see if it helps.  Is it a TV made by Roku or one of the other manufacturers (TCL, Sharp, onn, etc.)?

0 Kudos
KayCrawford
Reel Rookie

It is a Roku brand, model number 65R6A5R 4K QLED. Looking really close with bright light when the screen is black I can very faintly see a shadow of the news ticker moving along the bottom of the screen, but very faintly. I have tried adjusting settings, software update, etc. I took off all the power saving mode settings. But it still happens. The 1st 4 months I’ve had this set it has worked perfectly. This just started happening in the last few weeks, so I don’t think it’s the settings. If I’m clicking around often with the remote it doesn’t happen, but when I start watching a show and leave it sitting for 10-15 minutes on one channel it’s almost like a black screen saver comes on.

0 Kudos
Chase11
Reel Rookie

TCL TVs do stuff like that thir is no fix that I know of I hope you can get this fixed

0 Kudos
renojim

@KayCrawford, I assume it's less than a year old since Roku hasn't been making TVs for very long.  They should make it right. 

From Step by step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support :

"If you need to return or replace a Roku Select or Plus Series TV, you must start the process by contacting Roku support directly."

I have to say that from reading here that "contact support" can be frustrating to say the least, so good luck!  I think the best time to try is weekdays between 9 to 5 PST.

0 Kudos
LaShannay24
Reel Rookie

Hi I’ve had this tv less than two years in the entire screen just went out

0 Kudos
donofvan
Reel Rookie

Update:

Solution: Fix LED Backlights or Buy A New TV

See this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H192s_KSRBU

It appears the leds are the issue. Do what the guy says in the video, shine a flashlight on your screen after you turn it on. Also hit the Neflix button, It will make it easier to see the screen.

Feel like fixing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwFpsafgOX8

Find your model number on the back and order lights from Amazon ie: https://www.amazon.ca/4C-LB5508-HR02J-4C-LB5508-HR03J-4C-LB5508-HR06J-4C-LB5507-HR02J-4C-LB5507-HR03...

I'm not that handy so I ended up going from a 65" TCL to a 70" TCL at Costco for $699. I comes with a 3 years warranty from Coscto and I believe an extra year if you purchase with a Costco CC. My 65" lastest 4 years and was turned on non stop for all that time as it was also my extended laptop monitor.

I did try the unplug for 5 mins fix and that did work for 2 weeks but doesn't anymore. You may want to try that first and see if you can get some more life out of your TV.

0 Kudos
LaShannay24
Reel Rookie

I called the Roku support today and they basically told me that I needed to take it to i break u fix and pay to get it Repaired. I just think this brand is **bleep** 

0 Kudos