HellBound
Streaming Star

HDMI CEC No Longer Working

I have a Sony Home Theater Receiver. Recently, I selected the HDMI port for my Nintendo from the Roku menu and it switched my receiver to it Blu-Ray HDMI port that is not used so I had no audio. I had to manually change the receiver to the HDMI port for the Nintendo. It use to change to the right HDMI port, but now CEC is not working properly.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
samuel898
Reel Rookie

Re: HDMI CEC No Longer Working

@HellBoundhp instant ink wrote:

I have a Sony Home Theater Receiver. Recently, I selected the HDMI port for my Nintendo from the Roku menu and it switched my receiver to it Blu-Ray HDMI port that is not used so I had no audio. I had to manually change the receiver to the HDMI port for the Nintendo. It use to change to the right HDMI port, but now CEC is not working properly.

Hello,

"I'm having the same issue with HDMI CEC on my Sony Home Theater Receiver. Switching to my Nintendo from the Roku menu now defaults to the Blu-Ray HDMI port, causing audio problems. Manually changing ports works, but it used to switch correctly. Any solutions would be appreciated!

Best regards,
samuel898

0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

@HellBound @samuel898 

Sorry to hear about the difficulties regarding the HDMI CEC not working like it was. Here are a few idea that come to mind that you could try to fix the issue

• Check to see if your Roku OS is in need of an update. If you have any. questions regarding how to check to see if an update is needed let me know and I will walk you through it. It’s a pretty straight forward process. You start by going to settings. From there scroll down to system, and lastly scroll down and look for software update and click on check now.
  • Make sure your Sony Receiver doesn’t need any updating, I’m not too familiar with Sony products but checking the user manual if you still have it might be helpful. If not, you could go online to the Sony website and look there as well.
  • Make sure CEC is turned on. Sometime adjusting certain settings could turn off the CEC off automatically,
  • What kind of Roku player do you have? Depending on which you own you may want to try changing the HDMI ports you’re using and see if that fixes the problem.
  • Unplug the TV, wait 10 minutes, and plug it back in. 

Hopefully with one of these you will find success and you’ll have things back to the way they were before. My fingers are crossed for you and I wish you the best of luck!

0 Kudos

@HellBoundhpinstantink

It sounds like your Sony Home Theater Receiver's HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) is not functioning as expected. HDMI-CEC is designed to allow connected devices to control each other, but it can sometimes be finicky. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Restart all devices: Power off your receiver, Nintendo, Roku, and any other connected devices. Unplug them from the power source for about a minute, then plug them back in and power them on. This can reset the CEC settings.

2. Check CEC settings: Ensure that HDMI-CEC is enabled on all devices. On your Sony receiver, look for "Bravia Sync" or "Control for HDMI" and make sure it's turned on. Similarly, check the CEC settings on your Nintendo and Roku.

3. Reconnect HDMI cables: Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cables to ensure a secure connection. Sometimes, a loose connection can disrupt CEC communication.

4. Reset CEC devices: Some devices allow you to reset HDMI-CEC individually. You might find this option in the settings menu of your receiver or other connected devices.

5. Update firmware: Ensure that your receiver, Nintendo, and Roku all have the latest firmware updates. Outdated software can sometimes cause compatibility issues with HDMI-CEC.

If the problem persists, consider disabling HDMI-CEC on all devices and then re-enabling it. If that doesn’t help, manually switching inputs might be the best workaround.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.