Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MABK

Getting tv to stay on hdmi

When I power on my tv with Roku remote the tv turns on but does not bring up the Home Screen  until I switch to hdmi input. The Home Screen used to pop up immediately without the extra step. How do I get my tv to stay on the hdmi input?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Getting tv to stay on hdmi

My Samsung TV may or not switch to my Roku's HDMI input when I press a button on the Roku remote.  I can sometimes get it to switch by turning it off and pressing a button on the Roku remote again.  I blame the TV which is about to be boxed up and put into long term storage since I hate it so much.  Try unplugging the TV's power for a few seconds to reset it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Roku remotes cannot directly control the tv's input/source control. BUT, the tv itself may do this for you if it supports the CEC feature.  Unfortunately many tv manufacturers call this feature by their own proprietary names. Some common ones:

• AOC: E-link
• Hitachi: HDMI-CEC
• LG: SimpLink or SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC)
• Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI, Realink for HDMI
• Panasonic: VIERA Link, HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync
• Onkyo: RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
• Philips: EasyLink
• Pioneer: Kuro Link
• Runco International: RuncoLink
Samsung: Anynet+
• Sharp: Aquos Link
• Sony: BRAVIA Link, BRAVIA Sync, Control for HDMI
• Toshiba: CE-Link, Regza Link

Some other names shared by multiple manufacturers:
• Fun-Link, INlink, T-Link

On some TVs you may need to have the TV do a scan or search for connected CEC devices, some do it automatically when they start up.

To turn this feature on in your Roku, enable "1-touch play" via Roku menu path "Settings > System > Control other devices".

Maybe I'm lucky but I'm not experiencing the problems Jim has with my 10+ year old Samsung.   I press a Roku control key on the Roku remote (not the volume, mute, or power keys which act on the tv not the Roku) and the Roku sends the appropriate CEC commands over the HDMI connection so that my Samsung turns on if necessary, then switches to the Roku's HDMI input.

Note: If other connected devices (game console, cable box, disk player, etc) also have a CEC function, pressing a button on the their remotes may also switch the tv to their tv inputs.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
mjrnvc

I followed on persons suggestion to keep my new 2024 40" LG 4K tv on HDMI but it wont stick. Does anyone else have any suggestions so I dont have to keep using the LG remote to say "yes" to connect to the HDMI port?? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

"On some TVs you may need to have the TV do a scan or search for connected CEC devices, some do it automatically when they start up.To turn this feature on in your Roku, enable "1-touch play" via Roku menu path "Settings > System > Control other devices".

Mark

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.