Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
betheranne
Reel Rookie

Described audio on live TV

When I watch live TV, if a program has described audio, I'm hearing that audio track, "She walks into the room." The accessibility settings on the live TV side are different than on the streaming side. On the streaming side, "Audio Track" in the accessibility menu turns this feature on and off, but that menu item doesn't appear in the accessibility menu on the live TV side of my Roku TV, and nothing I find in the main settings seems to be turning it off.

I do not hear that narration when I'm streaming programs, only when watching live TV. I also do not hear the narration when I'm watching live TV on my non-Roku television.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Described audio on live TV

Since Roku has really muddled the definition of what "live TV" is (along with what a "channel" is), are you speaking of over-the-air/antenna broadcasts or "Live TV" within something like "The Roku Channel"?  I assume you're speaking of the former since you compare it to a non-Roku TV.  "Live" broadcasts sometimes have a SAP (secondary audio program).  Do you see that option anywhere?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
betheranne
Reel Rookie

Yes, I mean over-the-air antenna broadcasts. Sorry I didn't clarify that.

I do see the SAP option in that menu, but it is grayed out and says it isn't available for the channel, except I also work at that channel, so I know they've been broadcasting with SAP for decades.

0 Kudos
renojim

I don't know if any of the "Volume modes" are available for OTA broadcasts, but if they are and any are enabled try turning them off.

I've never heard described audio on OTA broadcasts ever, but I've never gone looking for it either.  Do you have a non-Roku TV that you can get to play the audio description on the same channel?  Maybe we can figure out if it's a SAP issue or something else.

0 Kudos
renojim

I wouldn't be surprised if @RobertFlanders is a bot, but the Audio Guide has nothing to do with described audio.  @betheranne , did you ever figure it out?  In another thread, someone mentioned that while they didn't have SAP options, there was an option for "Spanish" audio which turned out to be the English track without descriptions.

0 Kudos

how do I turn it off? I have searched through every feature and can't find a sap feature. it just started with the update they did yesterday  evening (10/17/2024)

0 Kudos
renojim

@jhubwinclear, there may not be anything referred to as "SAP", but if you press * on your remote while a video is playing and go into the Accessibility settings you may find an option for multiple "Audio tracks".  Try a different one from the one selected.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.