Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skhittle

Deprogramming Roku Remote

During set up of the Roku Express 4k+ there was no option to skip the programming of the Roku remote to control the TV. I do not want the Roku remote to control the TV, and now that it's programmed to do so I cannot figure out how to un-program it so that it won't. If the TV is on the Roku is on. The only way to turn the Roku off is to turn the TV off. However, we use this TV for other things such as gaming and watching cable/antenna TV. If we are not watching Roku then I want to be able to shut it off so that it's not using unnecessary internet bandwidth that someone else in the house might need. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Deprogramming Roku Remote

@skhittle Turning off your TV with the Roku remote or the TV remote will not turn off the Roku device.  To stop the Roku Express 4k+ from using internet bandwidth just hit the home button to return the Roku device to the home screen.  There is really no reason that I can think of the program the remote so it will not control your TV but

If you still want to program the Roku remote so it will not control your TV go into settings on your Roku, select remotes and devices, remotes, select your remote, select setup remote for TV control.  When it asks if the music stops playing and the music does stop playing, select the wrong answer.  Continue to next step and hit home.  By selecting the wrong answer the remote should no longer control your TV.  

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.