Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bgoble31
Channel Surfer

Continuing saga of the ROKU Channel guide snafu

Going to the channel guide to find out what channel I'm on and not being able to find out has to be the most fun I've had in years. Are you kidding me ROKU?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
bryank59
Streaming Star

Re: Continuing saga of the ROKU Channel guide snafu

Correct me if I'm wrong....

How the guide should operate:

I'm watching "Live TV" and want to view the guide.
I hit left on the remote and the guide comes up with the current channel, I'm currently on, highlighted on the guide.
If I want to go to see the channel name, I'd hit left again.
If I wanted to see categories (favs, sports, movies, recents, etc..), I'd hit left one more time.

How both of mine are actually working:

I'm watching "Live TV" and want to view the guide.
I hit left on my remote and the guide comes up with the "category selection/all channels" highlighted by default.

When I press left, shouldn't it just go to the channel I'm currently watching on the guide?

Going to the "category" section should be a choice ....not the default.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@bryank59 

You are correct in your description.  This is how the Guide used to operate and presumably, should operate.  Looks like a bug was introduced in the preparation of the 12.5 OS release. (hopefully, a bug).

Have not seen any official response from Roku acknowledging they are seeing this as an issue that is being addressed.  There are some postings of mods/employees asking for more info as to what users are seeing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

AvsGunnar

Looks like the issue may now be resolved.  All my devices and RokuTV are displaying the guide properly this evening.  Fingers crossed it stays fixed.

0 Kudos
bryank59
Streaming Star

Ummm, not mine.
When I bring up the "Live TV" guide it still jumps to the "category section" by default instead of just highlighting the current channel I'm watching on the guide.

As I posted earlier ....when I'm watching "Live TV" and press left, it should bring up the guide with the channel I'm currently watching highlighted on the guide, not jump all the way over to the category section.
Going to the category section should be a choice ....not the default.

bryank59
Streaming Star

Funny, because no updates have been sent out ....??
The last update I have is 6/21/23, and I just did an update check.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@bryank59 

On my Ultra 4660 (in which Guide is now working again, the last update was 5/11/2023. OS12.0 build 4184).

When watching content on LiveTV Roku Channel, a left arrow press will bring up the guide and highlight the name of the program/content.  An additional left arrow press will highlight the channel number.  An additional left arrow press will move to the Categories, with "All Channels" selected as default.

If you select the channel number, rather than the name of the program initially from the guide, then the initial left arrow will bring up the guide and highlight the channel number.  An additional left arrow press will then move to the Categories.

------

Try performing a Manual System update (Settings/System/Software Update), followed by a System Restart of your device (Settings/System/System Restart, or Settings/System/Power/System Restart) and see if that helps resolve issue.

I have noticed over the last couple of years that Roku will push fixes and even do test features on user devices with no reflection on a build update number. (build number stays the same).  Looks like the build update number may now just be reserved for substantial patches/fixes, or feature release of the OS.

There is a larger thread at https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Tv-guide-goes-to-recents-when-opening-channel-guide/td-p/9... and a couple others in which users have mentioned their guides were now fixed as well.  @RokuAustin mentioned in the temporary Solution posted this may be another test feature (likely one in which no user asked for) so you may need to wait until removed from your devices.  

I had three devices affected with the guide going to Recents with the left arrow press and all were again working normally yesterday evening.  I didn't do anything so Roku just did whatever fix/feature removal silently in the background.

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnarI've been having the same maddening issue with the left arrow press taking me all the way to the categories... And I think you're right about "testing" updates going on periodically. That's the only explanation that makes sense when I do manual updates, and see labels like "Supercharging", or "Channels boost", or other even more esoteric/humorous names. Those are probably minor updates, fixes, or unfortunately experiments... I can only hope this most recent bug goes away for the rest of us...

0 Kudos