Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kanuuker

Connecting Onn TV to non-ARC HDMI amp.

Will the ARC HDMI out on my Onn Roku tv work with a non-ARC HDMI input on an amplifier? Or do both devices need to be ARC enabled? I'm only looking to output sound from the TV to amplifier, I am not inputing a signal to the TV. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuArvyS
Retired Moderator

Re: Connecting Onn TV to non-ARC HDMI amp.

Hi @kanuuker

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having confusion with HDMI ARC and non-HDMI ARC. The HDMI ARC connection provides a number of benefits over the digital audio output. 

• Less clutter: With a single cable, HDMI ARC uses two-way communication to send sound to your AVR or soundbar while simultaneously sending pictures to your Roku TV. There is no need for separate audio and video cables.
  • Control other devices: Using only your Roku TV remote, you can control aspects of your home theater, like adjusting the volume and muting the sound.
  • Support for more surround sound formats: The HDMI ARC connection supports the same formats as the digital audio output, but with greater throughput, it also supports advanced formats like Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Atmos. The S/PDIF connection is limited to 2 channels of uncompressed stereo sound (PCM) or 5.1 channels of compressed surround sound (Dolby Digital or DTS).

You can check out this support article: How to connect a surround sound system to your Roku TV

See if it helps; keep us posted so we can assist further if needed.
Best regards,
Arvy

Marc
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.