Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HobbydogMom
Channel Surfer

Bought a Roku TV BIG MISTAKE??

Just bought Roku TV (ONN brand). Set up everything. I wanted to start with LiveTV (which works) and Local Now (which works). However. I wanted to add some streaming channels. On the Home menu? The option for "streaming channels" (among other menu options) is MISSING. No "streaming channels" that I can select to possibly choose. So. Went to support.roku.com logged in with my account, chose the "viewing and channels" option. It won't log me in so I can ask Support why I don't have a full home page menu and what I need to do to get a home page full menu. My roommate has Roku unit on an older nice digital tv with our shared high speed internet subscription, he has all the menus, no issues with locating anything, adding channels, removing channels, etc. His home page menu is completely different. Did I just waste several hundred bucks buying a Roku TV only to be unable to stream the few channels I want to watch? And how does one actually CONTACT someone in Support?????

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Re: Bought a Roku TV BIG MISTAKE??

Your best bet would be contacting Onn the manufacturer of your TV.

0 Kudos
HobbydogMom
Channel Surfer

So this isn't a Roku software issue it's a RokuTV hardware issue?

Considering that apparently there is no way to even ask Roku Support this simple question, I'm considering just returning the RokuTV for a refund - and then renewing my library card, digging out my AM/FM radio, hauling my old TV out of storage, buying an OTA antenna, and calling it good. Simpler life, for sure. Honestly - it's a mystery to me how anyone can navigate a complex product when there's simply no way to contact the people who know the most about the product. Guess most are much smarter than I am!

0 Kudos
packetrat
Binge Watcher

Have you tried a Factory Reset? (Home page -> Settings -> System -> Advanced system setings -> Factory reset -> Factory reset everything -> enter number code shown on screen to confirm)

After doing that, the TV should restart, and come back to its out-of-box "Let's get started" screen where it asks you to choose a language, then enter your Roku account email address. All setup steps will need to be done over again.

If it didn't show these screens when you first hooked it up, that might indicate you received an open-box returned TV that never had its previous owner's information properly cleared out. Even if so, I've never seen the Streaming Channels menu option go missing. Settings -> Home screen allows many of those menus to be hidden, but not Streaming Channels. Maybe Guest Mode can do this, or Parental Control?

Also, if it hasn't been turned off (I always disable this since it's redundant), there should be an "Add Channels" shortcut tile at the very end of all your channel tiles. Scroll down to the bottom, or cursor-up from the top line to check.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

@HobbydogMom 

You need to contact the manufacturer of your TV. Every manufacturer has a phone number for you to call. I mentioned that to you before.

0 Kudos
HobbydogMom
Channel Surfer

Thank you. Will try factory reset today. In the original setup of the Roku TV with Roku's service, all of the set up screens appeared and were worked through during that original setup. The only hiccup was that Roku setup showed a default zipcode (perhaps a throwback to an old TV series - as the default zipcode was Beverly Hills. I'm slightly under 1000 miles from Beverly Hills however the set zip code function did not work after multiple efforts). The RokuTv unit appeared to have its abundant and visibly (at least) untouched packaging intact but I guess one never knows about returns or former owner(s). Purchased from major retailer. The "streaming channels" option on the Home Menu was not present at any point. Further, there is no "Add Channels" shortcut tile under the channel tiles. And there are only a mere handful of channel tiles. If factory reset doesn't cure this issue the unit will be returned to the retailer. After that, perhaps I'm just not cut out for the hassle factor. Never been that big of a TV watcher anyway. Maybe I'm just an OTA via antenna person.

0 Kudos
HobbydogMom
Channel Surfer

Yes,  thank you for that advise however they are not responding to inquiries.

0 Kudos
HobbydogMom
Channel Surfer

Yes, thank you, I read your post and appreciate the suggestion. Wish it worked, perhaps there will be someone at RokuTV to actually make contact with after the holidays because it's just been crickets so far. But thanks.

0 Kudos
ChippyTech
Streaming Star

Maybe just buy a regular Roku too.

0 Kudos
HobbydogMom
Channel Surfer

Nope. I am done with RokuTV and also done with Roku. Returning RokuTV to retailer as did factory reset but then in trying to "activate device" Roku froze on the second screen in and simply would not allow completion of set up. Done with Roku itself because there is simply no way to obtain tech support.