Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DMarshall1951
Reel Rookie

Before I buy: TV with Roku built-in vs Roku streaming player

Jump to solution

What are the PROs and CONs of using a TCL brand TV that runs on the Roku operating system versus buying whatever brand TV is on sale and a Roku Ultra streaming player? When I upgraded from a Roku Express stick to the Roku Ultra a month ago, I read some comments in reviews suggesting that there are some differences between the two options. I am wanting to replace a bedroom TV that is showing it's age. Are there any functional differences or features that are different between the current Ultra model #4802X (which I bought direct from Roku web site about 6 weeks ago) and the Roku operating system on a TCL model #32S350R TV? An example of the kind of things I am concerned about is maybe certain apps that might work on the Ultra streaming player and not be available on the TV, or maybe a function like the a setting that controls what happens after a certain amount of time with no activity (this timer setting is the issue that caused me to upgrade from the Express stick player to the Ultra player).

FWIW, I am a reluctant streamer. I live in a "multiple dwelling unit" that provides cable TV and internet access. 1 1/2 years ago in a cost-cutting move, they switched contracts from Comcast to a third-party cable provider that serves mostly low-budget hotels, nursing homes and other facilities with a very basic channel lineup and does not offer DVRs or additional channel bundle. I would be perfectly happy to be able to have been able to stay with Comcast. Most people switch to streaming to save money. I am spending much more for streaming than I spent for cable. My first mistake was subscribing to a streaming service from one of the satellite services that also sells their own customized streaming devices. That was not a happy experience, so I cancelled that subscription and went to Hulu and Roku. Now, with it being time for another hardware upgrade, I want to be sure that I will not run into something like "...we're sorry, but that app only works on streaming players and not on TV..."

Thank you for taking the time to provide some rookie education!

Dave

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Before I buy: TV with Roku built-in vs Roku streaming player

Jump to solution

All Roku devices that are still "Updatable" receive the same software.  TVs generally get the updates later than other devices, but as far as I know all Roku TVs ever made are still receiving updates.  The same cannot be said for all Roku devices.  That being said, I think it's safe to say that the current Ultra (and probably the older "Ultra" models as well) will be getting updates for years to come.  You won't find anything that's available on a Roku TV that isn't available on an Ultra and vice versa.  I think all current apps run on all current Roku models, but some older models can't run some of the newer apps.

As far as features, they mostly have to do with things like audio formats supported, 4k or not (almost all Roku devices except the cheapest support 4k), and picture settings for TVs.  I don't know what you mean by "what happens after a certain amount of time with no activity".  The only settings on a Roku device that have anything to do with no activity are the screensaver time out and the "Bandwidth saver" option that will stop streaming after four hours of no activity and all devices support those.  TVs have a sleep setting where no other Roku devices do.

By the way, an "Express" isn't a stick.  It's an important thing to note since sticks have their own distinctions like they don't need an HDMI cable and only work with certain remotes.

As far as a Roku TV vs. a Roku device connected to a TV, I prefer the latter.  The last Roku TV I bought hasn't been activated, so it's just a "dumb" TV, partially because of all the horror stories I see here about how a Roku update bricked someone's TV (although those reports are hard to verify with complete certainty) or changed some TV behavior in an undesirable way.  My next TV, if at all possible, won't be a smart TV.  I have a Samsung "smart" TV that I absolutely hate.  If I can't get a dumb TV, I'll either get a smart TV that can be set up as a dumb TV or just a monitor with external speakers.

Others may have a different opinion.  🙂

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

All Roku devices that are still "Updatable" receive the same software.  TVs generally get the updates later than other devices, but as far as I know all Roku TVs ever made are still receiving updates.  The same cannot be said for all Roku devices.  That being said, I think it's safe to say that the current Ultra (and probably the older "Ultra" models as well) will be getting updates for years to come.  You won't find anything that's available on a Roku TV that isn't available on an Ultra and vice versa.  I think all current apps run on all current Roku models, but some older models can't run some of the newer apps.

As far as features, they mostly have to do with things like audio formats supported, 4k or not (almost all Roku devices except the cheapest support 4k), and picture settings for TVs.  I don't know what you mean by "what happens after a certain amount of time with no activity".  The only settings on a Roku device that have anything to do with no activity are the screensaver time out and the "Bandwidth saver" option that will stop streaming after four hours of no activity and all devices support those.  TVs have a sleep setting where no other Roku devices do.

By the way, an "Express" isn't a stick.  It's an important thing to note since sticks have their own distinctions like they don't need an HDMI cable and only work with certain remotes.

As far as a Roku TV vs. a Roku device connected to a TV, I prefer the latter.  The last Roku TV I bought hasn't been activated, so it's just a "dumb" TV, partially because of all the horror stories I see here about how a Roku update bricked someone's TV (although those reports are hard to verify with complete certainty) or changed some TV behavior in an undesirable way.  My next TV, if at all possible, won't be a smart TV.  I have a Samsung "smart" TV that I absolutely hate.  If I can't get a dumb TV, I'll either get a smart TV that can be set up as a dumb TV or just a monitor with external speakers.

Others may have a different opinion.  🙂

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DMarshall1951
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@renojimI hear you about the Samsung TV. Not so much the "smart" features, but the minimalist remote control makes it a pain to navigate.

I think I will take your advice. It will cost more to buy a TV and another Ultra, but having to replace a bricked external device, if it happens, is less hassle than replacing a TV.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.