cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonesbasf
Reel Rookie

Audio HDMI arc not working after update

Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue with my Roku Streaming Stick 4k. Was working before November. Now, no sound for any other inputs through ARC. Only thing that works is TV speakers. After unplugging Roku and retarting TV / Soundbar, ARC works fine. Plug Roku in again, back to TV speaker. 

Setup:

TV: LG OLED65B6P
Soundbar: Sonos Beam v1
Roku: Steaming Stick 4k - 3820X - S/N S08Y424TFG70

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Audio HDMI arc not working after update

Jump to solution

Hello! @Anallen111,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us regarding the issue with your audio HDMi ARC not working after the update. We're happy to help.

• How is the Audio connected? (HDMI or Optical)
  • A/V Receiver or soundbar make/model:
  • Does the error appear during the playback of a TV show or movie, during a commercial or advertisement, on the home screen, etc.?
  • Is your soundbar plugged into the ARC HDMI port?
  • Have you tried another cable or port?

You should check to make sure HDMI ARC (or eARC) is enabled along with an HDMI feature called CEC (or Consumer Electronics Control).

To enable ARC (or eARC):

1. Press Home on your Roku TV remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Control other devices (CEC)
  5. Scroll and highlight ARC (or eARC)
  6. Check the box using OK on your remote to enable ARC (or eARC)

To enable CEC:

1. Perform ARC steps 1 through 4 above
  2. Scroll and highlight System audio control
  3. Check the box to enable System audio control
  4. Highlight 1-touch play
  5. Check the box to enable 1-touch play

If you want to learn more, refer to the detailed article about enabling CEC and ARC on your TV.

Please keep us informed about any updates, and we will be glad to continue helping you further. We eagerly await your response.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jonesbasf,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us about this. This has been escalated to the appropriate Roku team and is currently under investigation.

We'll add this information you have provided, and we'll make sure to drop an update here once we have it available.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sharrell32

Jump to solution

Has there been an update on this issue?   I have the same symptoms that showed up in the same time-frame as the OP.   I can temporarily achieve ARC control whenever a refresh/update is initiated via Settings>System>CEC>Search or other TV-side HDMI setting changes, but ultimately ARC is shown as "inactive" after one or two power cycles of the TV.  Here's my Sharp Roku TV system information:

Sharp Model:  LC-65LBU591U
Hardware ID:  7209X
Serial#:  YN00CF227903
SW Version: 12.5.5 build 4174-38
Device ID:  9Y600C227903

Prior to the firmware update, I was connected fine for ~2 years to my Sony AV STR-DH550 Receiver via HDM1/ARC on TV and HDMI OUT(ARC) on the AV Receiver.  Also, I've tried a brand new overpriced HDMI 2.x cable but the issue remains.

Yes, I can send the sound to the wimpy TV speakers - but hate to waste the >$1K of sound equipment.

0 Kudos
DGV
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue with a new Phillips Q-led TV. The TV wil not reckognize external sond devices. I called customer service and was informed that the current Roku software is only supporting Roku Soundbars even though the HDMI eARC is still not working or (inactive). So my question then was why would you eliminate an entire market of people who already have soundbars or who might prefer another specific brand. The service rep then said they would be putting out a fix but no guarantees.  I can guarantee that if their software is not fixed, and in a timely manner, my next TV will not be Roku.

0 Kudos
jonesbasf
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have, unfortunately, abandoned my Roku on that TV. I will not use something that prevents me from using the HT speaker setup I have in my room. It is such a shame that Roku has chosen not to prioritize fixing this issue. 

I am likely to be switching to an Apple TV setup soon across all my TVs. 

0 Kudos
DGV
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

PHILLIPS MODEL: 65PUL7973/F7
HARDWARE ID: G418X
SERIAL #: X01300S2W5WX
SOFTWARE VERSION: 12.5.0- BUILD: 5213-F6
DEVICE ID: S10N4412W5WX
SURROUND SYSTEM:      VIZIO V-SERIES            MODEL: V51-H6

Under CEC Settings there are  no settings to turn the HDMI ARC on or off. There is: 1 Touch Play and System Standby that is it. The software is missing the necessary settings to control external devices and remains inactive. The HDMI ARC remains inactive.

0 Kudos
RokuBernie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DGV,

Thanks for letting us know and sending the information. We have passed the additional information to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter.

Please let us know. If there's anything else we can assist you with aside from this,

Kind regards,
Bernie

Bernie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gatorgogo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Today I tested a newer Roku Ultra (4802X) on my Samsung TV with Yamaha soundbar connected via an ARC HDMI.  The Roku Ultra also updated to version 13.0.0 too.   But still no sound from the Soundbar!

The only Roku Ultra that operates the TV ARC HDMI connection to the soundbar is the older Roku Ultra 4670X model.  The Yamaha Soundbar works fine.

But the newer Roku Ultra (4802X) AND the new Roku Ultra LT (4801RW) have problems with the TV's ARC HDMI connection to the soundbar that prevents it from working properly. 

I'll just keep using the older 4670X and hope Roku gets around to fixing this problem on the newer Roku Ultra's someday.

0 Kudos
Gatorgogo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Today I moved the Roku Ultra (4802X) to another home that has a newer Samsung TV and a Yamaha soundbar... and everything worked!

Here's the difference in TV/Soundbar - 

- Roku Ultra 4802X WORKED properly on the a newer Samsung TV model UN50AU8000FXZA with Yamaha ATS-1080 soundbar with HDMI ARC connection.

- Roku Ultra 4802X did NOT work on the older Samsung TV model UN50NU6900BXZA with Yamaha SR-B20A soundbar with HDMI ARC connection. 

I'm guessing that the Roku Ultra 4802X is having problems with the older Samsung TV ARC. 

Lesson learned - Just keep moving around the Roku's to find the TV's/Soundbars it likes and works with.

0 Kudos
jonesbasf
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Other than the fact that I would have to replace my multi thousand dollar television, there is another annoying part to this…

It worked before last September. So all Roku needs to do is figure out what they changed that broke it. However, I’m guessing that they won’t invest the time/resources to do so. I have moved beyond Roku because of this. Other streamers work perfectly. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.