Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miclib
Reel Rookie

catch 22 subscribed but wants me to subscribe

paid subscription through roku. Britbox says we have to get a subscription but wont let us because we already have a subscription. anyone experiencing this?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: catch 22 subscribed but wants me to subscribe

@miclib 

When you subscribe to a channel through Roku, you generally have to watch that channel on a Roku device.

Verify you are trying to watch Britbox through the Roku Channel and not trying to watch through the standalone Britbox channel/app. (login credentials are not interchangeable).

----

Generally speaking, if you want to watch Britbox on any device (Roku, laptop, phone, another streaming device device, etc), then it is adviseable to subscribe directly to Britbox rather than through Roku.  If you plan to watch only on Roku devices, then fine to subscribe through Roku, but you are limited to watching it on Roku devices through the Roku Channel.

If you want to change how you subscribe to Britbox, just cancel the Britbox on the Roku Channel and you should be able to then sign up for the standalone Britbox.

Click on image to enlarge.

Britbox_miclib.png

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
miclib
Reel Rookie

we are watching britbox only on roku devices and have subscribed through roku for 2 months. It just started today demanding we need a subscription on britbox when trying to watch anything. Its like the the two companies are out of Sync

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@miclib 

Ahhh, yes, what you are describing does happen to users occasionally when the subscription provider fails to recognize a subscription through Roku.

Generally, best way to resolve is to select "Accounts, Payments, and Subscriptions" from the following Roku Support link https://support.roku.com/contactus.

Just as a note, I am currently subscribed directly to Britbox (even though I hate how sluggish the channel/app performs) and haven't had an issue yet.  The best experience I had was subscribing to Britbox through Prime Video for use on my Roku devices, but Britbox recently ran a 50% off yearly special to subscribe directly with them when I went to cancel Britbox.  Just something to consider that there are other ways to subscribe to Britbox if you start having too many issue/annoyances with one method. 

Hopefully the Roku Billing team will get it straightened out for you with the above link.

0 Kudos
smartally88
Channel Surfer

My situation is this: I signed up 2 days ago for a free 7-day trial on the BritBox app directly through my Roku streaming stick, not on the Roku channel. BUT after creating an account on the BritBox app and signing in, and watching a show, I started getting a "sign in" message repeatedly while on BritBox. I couldn't watch a show without the constant interruption and then not being able to get through. So I went to Roku (on desktop) and signed another BritBox free 7-day trial and that enabled me to watch BritBox without sign-in problems.

I'd like to subscribe to BritBox after the trial ends, and there's currently a $3.99/month promo. Should I just cancel the Roku subscription & start again with BritBox and hope I don't encounter any problems or what would you recommend. I use Samsung Smart TV to watch shows. Thanks for any advice.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@smartally88 

That 3.99 (50% off) is similar to the plan that I just recently signed up for and haven't had any issues yet.  (other than the usual slowness of the channel/app).  Since that is the currently best price, and also allows to watch Britbox on any device (Roku, non-Roku, laptops, etc), I would recommend going this route. (I signed up for a 48.00/yr plan).

Some users just run into unnecessary issues when subscribing to channels "through Roku Channel".  Sometimes it is content related (not receiving latest episode of a show), or payment issues.  Again, I have done both ways and haven't had issues, but in this case with Britbox, I would just go the 3.99 direct subscription method.  

I am seeing some reports that users are having Britbox related issues with the new OS12 update released by Roku, but I have not experienced any on my OS12 devices.  If any issues do arise, it will have to be addressed by Britbox via an update to their channel/app.

smartally88
Channel Surfer

Thanks! I cancelled both free trials, deleted the "Watch BritBox on Roku" app from my ROKU channel lineup, then went to the BritBox app and signed up there for the $3.99 promo. Lesson learned: subscribe directly on the content provider's app. Btw, ROKU "resells" Acorn and BritBox, but not all the other major streaming channels like Netflix, HBOMax, etc. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.