Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
genesisbound
Binge Watcher

Youtube channel keeps signing out

Just wanted to add that this is an ongoing issue a year later. Our Roku TV signs us out of YouTube every single day. Either Roku is issuing the sign out command or YouTube is but they're definitely needs to be a log file at least you would think somewhere, that shows who initiated the sign out

At least then we would know who to direct our inquiries to. But given that this is only happening on Roku devices I'm pretty certain that it's good to start here.

13 REPLIES 13
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Youtube channel keeps signing out

Hi @genesisbound

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Do you encounter any error messages? Are all the other streaming channels operating normally? How long has the issue existed and what troubleshooting done to resolve the issue?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you better.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos

I am also experiencing the same, on multiple devices. This is extremely frustrating. i do not experience this with other devices such as the Amazon fire stick or Apple TV. Come on, Roku.  

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Barcodepiglet wrote:

Come on, Roku.  

Roku doesn't have anything to do with the way YouTube (or any other 3rd party channel) functions. This is solely the responsibility of Google, as the owner of YouTube. For what it's worth, I don't have this issue on any of my devices, Roku or otherwise. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @genesisbound

Thank you for the post.

Does the issue only occur on YouTube or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel YouTube and then re-install again? If not,we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Pvtims

It just started happening to all my Roku connected TVs.  

0 Kudos
genesisbound
Binge Watcher

@RokuLianna 

Unfortunately uninstalling the app and reinstalling the app does nothing different. It used to be just YouTube but now it's happening with the Hulu app as well. Although YouTube is the absolute worst. At least every day it's kicking me out asking me to sign in again

0 Kudos
genesisbound
Binge Watcher

@atc98092 I'm not so sure anymore I used to think it would be a Google problem but Roku is the only connected device in my home that has this issue. None of my Google phones none of the iPhones none of the Amazon Alexa's none of the Google homes none of the smart devices none of the smart TVs that are Google based not even Google's own, Google cast Google TV box. It is only on the roku's that on a daily basis it's constantly signing us out of

Led me to believe it's a Roku issue

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

It doesn’t really matter if it works perfectly on every other device you own. Apps for Roku devices are written in a completely different programming language than for other platforms, so even though they look pretty much identical across platforms they’re completely different “under the hood”. Google has sole control of the programming, with Roku having no control over any of it. Even if Roku could identify it, Google is the one that would have to fix it. 

As you mentioned, Google sells a competing device, so they might not feel as compelled to make their app work perfectly on other platforms. I’m not implying they would do in intentionally, but it’s certain a possibility. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
teaspoons

This started happening to me as well last week.  YouTube Premium stays signed in on Iphone and Ipad but each time I start the Roku I have to resign in.  Reinstalling app doesn't help.