Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dragonboots2005
Roku Guru

Youtube App on Roku home screeen

Hey Roku why is my Roku(s) sometimes showing the old white app and then other times the new bright red app?  Pick one please.  I prefer the new bright red.  

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Youtube App on Roku home screeen

Roku doesn't control the appearance of an app/channel icon. The channel developers do that, so Google is the one that is changing the YouTube icon. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Actually that ugly red YouTube app icon is terrible and it isn't new. This icon was used for YouTube on Roku several years back when YouTube was first added to Roku, for quite a time it wasn't available.

The icon was then changed to the better looking white icon afterwards.

So basically what we are seeing now is YouTube has chosen to revert back to that old design and it isn't a good move. I am seeing the red one on some of my Rokus and white on others also.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

I have a similar issue between my two Roku's. An Ultra 4800 has the white, but an Express 4K+ is red. The recent middleware update to add the option for 3x or 4x tiles seems to have introduced alot of bugs. Not sure if it's a YouTube difference or not.

The Roku version (press * after highlighting on home screen) both show version 2.24 build 150. Even in the app, the version info in settings/about is the same, other than the device info.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.