Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwa000
Reel Rookie

YouTube TV not appearing in Roku channel search

Jump to solution

have a Roku 2 that i got from someone to use on an old CRT TV.  when i do a channel search for YouTube TV, it does not appear.  YouTube TV does appear in a channel search on at least one of the TVs where i have a Streaming Stick.  presumably it would appear on the other Streaming Stick TVs.

any idea why i can not find YouTube TV in the Roku channel search so that i can install it on an old TV.

i do see some of the channels that were previously installed on other Roku devices, just not YouTube TV.

also, is the order of the channels that are listed suppose to be the same for all TVs or is each one ordered independently (which appears to be the case).

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube TV not appearing in Roku channel search

Jump to solution

Support for Roku 2 models was discontinued years ago and they barely had the horsepower to run the bloated YouTube channel/app.  I believe YouTube TV came about after support for those models ended, so never appeared on any Roku 2 model.

Different models have different capabilities and Roku has been sunsetting some older models - they no longer receive any updates.  These older models can't run many of the newer channels/apps that require a recent version of the Roku "OS".

All Roku devices linked to the same Roku account will show all the same channels/apps if that model supports the channel/app.  As you've noticed, they will not appear in the same order.  You have to arrange the Home Screen channels/apps on each device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Support for Roku 2 models was discontinued years ago and they barely had the horsepower to run the bloated YouTube channel/app.  I believe YouTube TV came about after support for those models ended, so never appeared on any Roku 2 model.

Different models have different capabilities and Roku has been sunsetting some older models - they no longer receive any updates.  These older models can't run many of the newer channels/apps that require a recent version of the Roku "OS".

All Roku devices linked to the same Roku account will show all the same channels/apps if that model supports the channel/app.  As you've noticed, they will not appear in the same order.  You have to arrange the Home Screen channels/apps on each device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
gwa000
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

thanks so much for your insight.  you are right that the Roku 2 is noticeably slower than my Streaming Sticks.  but it was free and it enabled me to hook it up to an old CRT TV in the basement (which i only use when exercising) because the TV only has the RCA jacks (yellow, red, white).

i did get into regular YouTube and in the lower left they have a link to get into YouTube TV but like you said it is slow, first getting into YouTube and then into YouTube TV.  once i select a channel it plays back fine.  did not see any pauses, stutters, etc.

when i was on the Roku app (on a Streaming Stick TV) they had a special for me for the Roku Express for only $19.99.  but after looking it up it only has an HDMI output.  don't want to buy a HDMI to RCA jack converter since the TV is so old and i'll probably just replace it and get a Streaming Stick at some point.

i noticed that on my streaming sticks the OS version is 11.5.  on the Roku 2 it is only at 11.0 so that confirms that Roku has stopped supporting this device.

also, thanks for confirming what i was seeing as far as the channels/apps that were appearing and the order of the channels/apps.

once again, thanks again for adding some clarity for the issue i was seeing.

0 Kudos