Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayWY

Re: YouTube TV & Closed Captions

Jump to solution

Close captions on one setting appear over each speaker's head.  On the other setting, the captions appear in the top left corner.  Is there a way to have captions appear at the bottom center of the screen as they do in, say, foreign movies?

tpasko

Jump to solution

Tried the pause and set cc. This works. The on always still does not from settings.

0 Kudos
MrGC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

OMG, this solved the close captioning mystery. THANK YOU. After spending much time calling Samsung who was clueless, I'm so glad I found the Roku version on how to fix the CC.. My wife's hearing is impaired and we needed the CC option on our new Samsung TV... YAAAAAAAY.. Thanks Roku and everyone!

0 Kudos
Hp
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you! Could not get closed caption off and this worked great. I have elected you the smartest person on the internet today.

0 Kudos
Ukor_67

Jump to solution

Thank you, this worked!  Your procedure is spot on!

0 Kudos
Brad2

Jump to solution

Did you get a response.  I was able to get the CC to work, but captioning is almost in center of TV screen.

0 Kudos
Hp
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I checked this just now...there are two types of closed captioning for YouTube Tv on the Roku. While watching a show, press the down button on the remote and the menu will come up. Go to the ‘cc’ icon and the following comes up:  no captions (which is what I wanted), English:CC1, English:DTVCC1 and style. English: CC1 (on my TV) makes the captions appear at the bottom of the screen. English: DTVCC1 makes the captions appear higher in the screen; on my TV they appear center-left. So maybe try changing to CC1 in the menu.

0 Kudos
BoggyMan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The issue of ever-lasting CCs is a bug. The setting for CC on the Youtube setting page is clearly ignored by the Roku youtube app as the video is being started for the first time. Exit it, and re-enter again. The CC will be greyed out and CC will not be displayed. I have no idea why this VERY simple debugging hasn't been discovered by the developers yet. Maybe, they did, but nobody wants to fix it. I've checked the version, and it shows 202004 for the release date. 

0 Kudos
MrGC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

my CC is finally working perfectly. Not sure why or how but after adjusting the CC option the bottom of the screen, it now works fine. I'm streaming mostly from Youtube channels and Roku channels. I do not use Netflix or any of the premiums. I'm unsure how I can help because mine seemed to straighten itself out after I kept manually changing the CC option to on every time I changed the channel. Finally, it got the idea that I wanted all the time for my wife. All my TV's have CC (3) and it appears I no longer have a CC issue. 

0 Kudos
deafguy64

Jump to solution

Problem with the YT app is that you have to turn it back on each time a new video is played. That's a real pain in the neck.

On the PC version, the captions is always played automatically for every video that is played.

Please fix the app version for Roku to have a permanent caption play option in the same way the PC version can.