Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mskinner

YouTube TV activation: How to find and enter code

Jump to solution

I am trying to set up YouTube TV on my Roku Premiere.  When I select the YouTube TV channel it tells me to sign into YouTube TV and then enter a code.  However when I go to my YouTube TV account on my phone I can't find anywhere to enter the code.  Can anyone let me know how / where to enter that code?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: YouTube TV activation: How to find and enter code

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

In order to activate YouTubeTV on your Roku device, you'll need to follow the instructions provided on screen inside the channel to visit YouTubeTV's website, log into your Google account, and complete the activation process by entering the code generated by the channel. 

Follow these steps to activate YouTube TV on your Roku streaming player or TV: 

1. Install the YouTubeTV channel on your Roku device. It can be located in 'Streaming channels' on the Home screen. 

2. Launch the channel and select 'Already a member' from the options on-screen. 

3. Visit tv.youtube.com/start from any web browser on your computer or mobile device. You will be prompted to sign into your Google account that you have a YouTubeTV account created under. Once you sign in, enter the code that is displayed on the TV screen. 

You can see more information about activating, link codes, and how to set up and use YouTube TV on your Roku device here: https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7452153

Supported models of Roku devices for the YouTube TV channel are listed here, under 'Streaming media players, Smart TVs, and game consoles.": https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7129767?hl=en&ref_topic=7071745

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

In order to activate YouTubeTV on your Roku device, you'll need to follow the instructions provided on screen inside the channel to visit YouTubeTV's website, log into your Google account, and complete the activation process by entering the code generated by the channel. 

1. Install the YouTubeTV channel on your Roku device. It can be located in 'Streaming channels' on the Home screen. 

3. Visit tv.youtube.com/start from any web browser on your computer or mobile device. You will be prompted to sign into your Google account that you have a YouTubeTV account created under. Once you sign in, enter the code that is displayed on the TV screen. 

You can see more information about activating, link codes, and how to set up and use YouTube TV on your Roku device here: https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7452153

Supported models of Roku devices for the YouTube TV channel are listed here, under 'Streaming media players, Smart TVs, and game consoles.": https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7129767?hl=en&ref_topic=7071745

Thanks,

Tanner

Ah_57210

Jump to solution

@Mskinner wrote:

I am trying to set up YouTube TV on my Roku Premiere.  When I select the YouTube TV channel it tells me to sign into YouTube TV and then enter a code.  However when I go to my YouTube TV account on my phone I can't find anywhere to enter the code.  Can anyone let me know how / where to enter that code?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Ah_57210 Thanks for the note. 

3. Visit tv.youtube.com/start from any web browser on your computer or mobile device. You will be prompted to sign into your Google account that you have a YouTubeTV account created under. Once you sign in, enter the code that is displayed on the TV screen. 

0 Kudos
Stan3

Jump to solution

I am already a customer.  I have moved and trying to set up the new tv.  I am using my computer.  The tv screen tells me to enter the code that is displayed.  I can not find any place to enter a code

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Stan3 

You will enter the code on the YouTubeTV activate page: tv.youtube.com/start from any web browser on your computer or mobile device. You will be prompted to sign into your Google account that you have a YouTubeTV account created under. Once you sign in, enter the code into the browser that is displayed on the TV screen. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It tells me that its the wrong code on my roku device can anybody help me

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@GODSISLOVE59 

Thanks for the note.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Youtube TV directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Youtube TV channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://support.google.com/youtubetv/?hl=en#topic=7071745

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

Jump to solution

This took me hours to figure out.  The short answer is try a browser other than Chrome (like MS Edge or Firefox), or log into Chrome as a guest.  Then enter the  tv.youtube.com/start URL and the page with the code box should appear.

I was using Chrome and no matter how many times I entered tv.youtube.com/start and  tv.youtube.com/activate into the Chrome browser window, Chrome kept taking me to tv.youtube.com and there is no where to enter a code on that page.  This happened on both my computer and on my android phone.

Google support will tell you that the Chrome browser works best for this.  But I've found that if you've used tv.youtube.com/start or  tv.youtube.com/activate in the past while logged into your Google/Chrome account, Chrome won't take you to those pages ever again while logged in to that same account.   It will reroute you to a generic youtube page or to a welcome youtube page-- neither of these pages have a place to enter a code.  This means, you may encounter this issue:

(a) if you need to install YouTubeTV on more than one device, or

(b) if you need to reset or re-install YouTubeTV on your device.  

I was on the phone with Google Support for about an hour trying to figure this out.  They were nice, but kept telling me to type tv.youtube.com/start into my Chrome browser as if repeating that instruction was going to change the result.  They asked me to clear my Chrome browser-- that didn't work.  They asked me to use an Incognito Chrome window-- that didn't work.  I finally decided on my own to use MS Edge instead of Chrome-- that's what worked.  Then, out of curiosity I logged out of Chrome and opened Chrome as a guest-- that also worked.

I hope this helps someone and saves them from the frustration I experienced in dealing with this. 

Good luck!

starrlinn

Jump to solution

I agree! Try another browser.

This took forever for me to figure out using Safari, but when I finally tried it on Firefox it worked right away.