Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MRRamsay

Why is a PIN required for free channels?

Jump to solution

Just wondering why I get prompted for  PIN for channels marked as Free? The channels I tested are usually local news channels that should not have any content restriction for age or anything like that. I am concerned that by entering a PIN, I'll start getting charged despite the channel showing as free.

I also want to put a Roku in a short term rental unit and do not want to be giving the PIN to guests, but if even some free channels seem to need a PIN, then I may have issues. Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is a PIN required for free channels?

Jump to solution

Have you checked your PIN preferences in your account? There's don't require one, require to make purchases and required to add channels and make purchases,

View solution in original post

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@MRRamsay wrote:

Just wondering why I get prompted for  PIN for channels marked as Free? The channels I tested are usually local news channels that should not have any content restriction for age or anything like that. I am concerned that by entering a PIN, I'll start getting charged despite the channel showing as free.

You can change the PIN settings to only block purchases, and not require a PIN for downloading apps. That's a setting you can reach from https://my.roku.com

If you are using this at a rental, try using the Guest Mode, as it won't require a PIN to add apps. Nothing will be tied to your account. It's a temporary setup that goes away when Guest Mode ends.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Have you checked your PIN preferences in your account? There's don't require one, require to make purchases and required to add channels and make purchases,

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@MRRamsay wrote:

You can change the PIN settings to only block purchases, and not require a PIN for downloading apps. That's a setting you can reach from https://my.roku.com

If you are using this at a rental, try using the Guest Mode, as it won't require a PIN to add apps. Nothing will be tied to your account. It's a temporary setup that goes away when Guest Mode ends.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MRRamsay

Jump to solution

Thank you. I had not notices that during setup. It did resolve my issue.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.