Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DottieD
Reel Rookie

Why does Roku search says I need a subscription that I already have?

I did a search on a show, "the repair shop" and the search says I need to subscribe to discovery+. I already have a subscription to discovery+. The whole reason I got discovery+ was for this show!

9 REPLIES 9
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Why does Roku search says I need a subscription that I already have?

Hi @DottieD,

Thanks for your inquiry. 

The show The Repair Shop is available on Discovery+ through The Roku Channel. How are you accessing the show, on the Roku Channel or directly to the channel? Also, does your subscription is through The Roku Channel or directly to the channel? Can you also please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Regards,
Nimfa

sswart
Reel Rookie

I am having the same exact problem myself.  When I try to access Discovery+ through the Roku channel, I am told I need to get their free seven day trial.  I have a separate Discovery+ icon that works, but doesn't have "The Repair Shop" listed.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
MsRRB
Channel Surfer

Try opening your Roku Account online and signing into Discovery+ there. We had to do this recently because Hulu kept signing out on the TV. 

0 Kudos
sswart
Reel Rookie

Thank you for responding.  But I will need you to be specific since I am not very familiar with this.  Do you mean login to my roku account on the TV box (Roku Ultra) or roku.com on my computer.  Neither place appears to have a method of accessing Discovery+.  I do have a Discovery+ icon on my TV/box but it doesn't have the shows I see on the Roku search.  Thank you again for the help.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@sswart

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, if you already have a subscription to Discovery+ and are able to access the channel directly, you will not be able to access Discovery+ through The Roku Channel as that is a different subscription.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MsRRB
Channel Surfer

@sswart wrote:

Thank you for responding.  But I will need you to be specific since I am not very familiar with this.  Do you mean login to my roku account on the TV box (Roku Ultra) or roku.com on my computer.  

I meant your account on Roku.com. It should work that way regardless of who you are paying (Discovery or Roku) since you should be able to log into either on the website. 

0 Kudos
MsRRB
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@sswart

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, if you already have a subscription to Discovery+ and are able to access the channel directly, you will not be able to access Discovery+ through The Roku Channel as that is a different subscription.

Thanks,
Danny

There needs to be better verbiage on these as I was recently confused about this with Paramount Plus. Maybe RENAME YOUR CHANNELS to Roku Discovery+ and Roku Paramount+, or Discovery+ on Roku Premium and Paramount+ on Roku Premium, etc. because otherwise it's just downright confusing. THERE HAS TO BE A DISTINCTION!

Another option is to explain on the Premium channel that access is only through a direct subscription with Roku. IE, "This channel is only available with a Roku Premium subscription. Try it free for 7-days". Or on the main Premium page, Next to Premium, or just beneath, put CHANNELS BELOW AVAILABLE FOR ROKU PREMIUM SUBSCRIBERS ONLY. // INCLUDES EXCLUSIVE CONTENT ONLY AVAILABLE Through A ROKU PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION 

0 Kudos
MsRRB
Channel Surfer

@sswart wrote:

Thank you for responding.  But I will need you to be specific since I am not very familiar with this.  Do you mean login to my roku account on the TV box (Roku Ultra) or roku.com on my computer.  Neither place appears to have a method of accessing Discovery+.  I do have a Discovery+ icon on my TV/box but it doesn't have the shows I see on the Roku search.  Thank you again for the help.

Ignore my last two messages. I thought you were just having trouble logging in not that it was a different service.

You can get the subscription through Roku for the same price. People have suggested that you cancel your current account with Discovery and then when you no longer have access at the end of your term then subscribe through Roku. One caveat though, you can ONLY watch through a Roku device, ie on a TV, and NOT a mobile device or laptop, unless Roku has made it possible to do this. Maybe Roku devices can be used on laptops, not sure but even so, that doesn't help on a mobile phone or tablet. 

0 Kudos
MsRRB
Channel Surfer

Oops. Double post. 

0 Kudos