Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aeh2
Reel Rookie

Re: Why does Netflix keep stopping / freezing on Roku?

Hi Mary. I am having same issue.  Here are my responses:

1. Roku TV

2. When viewing Netflix only 

3. no error messages

4. reconnect network; cut power and reboot. Not feasible to keep doing that. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Aeh2,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help.

Have you tried getting the latest Netflix channel version by checking for a channel update using your * button on the channel tile, or going to Settings for a System Update there? Then, restart your player. If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Netflix directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist.

You can reach their support team here.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
NetflixBlows
Channel Surfer

I’m sorry I don’t have a solution for you except that I never use the built-in TV apps because this always happens. I just buy the latest Roku used from Amazon for about 20 bucks. And it works for about three years and then I get another one.

What I find hilariously ironic is that half the people can’t stop Netflix from playing when they don’t want it to, and the other half can’t play it at all. I guarantee you Netflix is the problem not Roku. They don’t write the channel apps, each streaming company does this and since your Roku works fine for all the other apps, the problem is in the Netflix app.

I also use a Kodi box to stream. These are third-party unofficial plug-ins but I am able to stream Hulu and Netflix and Prime from the Kodi box and I can do it my own way. It will use whatever Kodi interface you choose and not the streaming services interface. No annoying ads no suggestions no auto play ( unless you want it) which is nice if you’re used to Kodi.

I’ve noticed I use a lot less Netflix since their apps have become so terrible.

Ajh1014

Insignia Roku Smart TV

Removed Netflix app --> unplugged tv for 2 min --> powered up TV --> did restart via settings --> added Netflix back. This worked for about a day, then qent back freezing.

This only happens qith Netflix on Roku, no other issues qith other channels or Netflix on my computer or phone.

Are there any longer lasting fixes?

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Ajh1014

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Since you are still experiencing the same problem from one channel, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help.

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

You can reach Netflix Support here: Netflix Help Center

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

This is happening to me also on my new 75” TCL Roku  

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Daviducf899,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?

As a first step, could you try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

To help troubleshoot the channel playback issue further, follow this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support 

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
drewumass

I am having the same issue.  Roku streaming 4k stick.. I launch Netflix... select title...select play and title plays for a few seconds and freezes.  I tried different titles and profiles...I have tried reinstalling the app... restarting the Roku... resetting the network connection.. ensuring I am on the latest version of all sw.  All other apps run fine on Roku and my Netflix account works great on other non-Roku devices. 

I escalated to Netflix and made Roku aware.

Beaa

Did all of it in the right order. Still not working...

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Beaa,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.
A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing: 
1. Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device?
2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
3. Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel?
4. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
5. What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos