Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan6098
Reel Rookie

Why adding some channels require entering QR code?

Jump to solution
I am a very happy new user. I have a quick question - did not find answer in your FAQs:
While adding application (channel) I noticed that for some applications I can go in using my existing email account for the respective application, however for some other applications like Amazon Prime I am asked to login to the application and then enter some QR code from Roku to activate the application to run on the Roku device. Why is it this way? What is the difference in the way the application connects to Roku? A brief explanation would be very helpful to me. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Why adding some channels require entering QR code?

Jump to solution

Each channel/app on a Roku is a created by some content creator/owner or some other contractor/company that has an agreement with the content creator.  Once the app is running, the developer has broad control over how the UI works.  Anything that gets you linked to your account will work, and some channels don't require accounts at all due to differences in their business models.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I don't recall any QR when I connected Prime, but I assume it's just equivalent to giving you a code plus a URL to go to.  That, and logging in with an account are just two ways to connect your player device to some account.  At least one app I used, gave the option of doing it more than one way, because it really doesn't matter to them. ie: entering an account and password may take more typing and may require more from your memory (especially if you follow the common security advice of using different passwords for all accounts) but it doesn't require you to use a second device.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Alan6098, I agree with @Strega .  Plus, so many people seem incapable of typing in a URL without ending up at some scam site.  The QR code hopefully makes it idiot proof (if there is such a thing).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Alan6098
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Clarifying .... This only happens when adding channels. I am still curious why the process of adding channels is different sometime. For example 1) When I added Vudu and Peacock I was asked to login or creating a new account. I logged in, and the respective channel was added to my Roku. 2) When I added PBS and Amazon Prime, I was given a URL and a numeric code; and instructed to go to the URL and add the number that was on the screen - I followed the instruction, and the respective channel was added to my Roku. So I am still curious why the process of adding channels PBS and Amazon is different from adding Vudu and Peacock? All channels appear on my home screen as they should. When I select any channel I am taken to the home screen of the respective channel where I can browse and select content that I am interested in viewing on my TV - this too works as it should, so I am happy except not knowing why when adding channels the "process" is not same for all channels. BTW the QR code I mentioned is an option to typing in the number at the URL - I could read the QR code with my phone if I wanted to. I chose to type in the number.

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Each channel/app on a Roku is a created by some content creator/owner or some other contractor/company that has an agreement with the content creator.  Once the app is running, the developer has broad control over how the UI works.  Anything that gets you linked to your account will work, and some channels don't require accounts at all due to differences in their business models.

Alan6098
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@StregaMakes sense. Thanks 😀

0 Kudos