Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TeedOff
Binge Watcher

Re: What has happened to the channel numbers on the streaming channels?

Jump to solution

I'm a newbie to ROKU / Streaming TV.  Only since May / past 5-6 months have I used streaming on ROKU TV.  To be honest, it was already a pain in the arse b/c I couldn't use the remote to type in channel number.. I had to select something from recent list I knew was close to what I wanted and then just scroll from there.

I'm from a generation where we remember sh!t... like channel numbers.  We use our brains to go logically thru life.  Now without channels numbers, I'm forced to think like a d-mn Millenial / Gen Z'er in a random, confused, willy nilly, waste my time kind of method lookiing for something I used to know where it was.

It's not like the number system concept of using specific numerals to organize data / things that has been around for 5-6000 years (Mesopotamia) has all of a sudden become obsolete by the new found genius of you teenie boppers.

In the past week, I've finally taken the time to install over the air TV Antennas at my new place and have found that I've gone from streaming 97% of the time to only streaming maybe 15-20% of time and that's using others apps like Pluto, FreeVee, etc... and not Roku.

PS - and like others, I created this stupid Roku account just to post my frustrations.... i don't use phone apps or sign up for websites... THAT'S HOW STUPID IT IS TO HAVE CHANNEL GUIDE w/o NUMBERS... this 50 yr old geezer has broken his rule of never signing up for anything with some small hope of delaying the world's demise brought on by modern stupidity until at least after I'm dead. 

Why advertise content by it's channel number!!!  Was already stupid enough to have remotes where i couldn't type in a specific number.

PITBULL95
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I agree 1000%  And to add insult to injury, if you have really bad eyesight like I do you really can't see the stupid channel logos either on the screen as they are so small.  So you end up walking over to the TV every time you want to change a channel.  This new "improvement" must have been thought up by some kid sitting in his parents basement sucking his thumb, LOL

jrome1977
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku's SILENCE on removing the channel numbers is DEAFENING!!  Black Friday is coming up soon.  It might be worthwhile to login to your Facebook account and forewarn friends and family about Roku if they are considering purchasing a Roku TV or Roku streaming device.  Likewise, if you have BestBuy, Target, or Walmart accounts, login and navigate to Roku TV and device reviews and provide fair warning so that others don't fall into Roku's channel guide abyss!

TeedOff
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

As I mentioned in my prior post, I never get on message boards, sign up to accts, etc.  But I must say, after spending some time this morning reading through various threads on Roku messageboard, I am REALLY REALLY impressed with Roku's frequent and multiple posts per thread that apologize & express understanding of our frustrations...in EVERY thread... regardless of topic.  Gotta *love* these insincere corporate posts expressing how they *understand* and *care*!!

At least 3 posts (out of 73) in this thread alone:

Roku.png 

Lrprop

Jump to solution

Is this permanent or temporary? Watching TV via Roku has turned into a nightmare and is FRUSTRATING. Who was smart enough to rearrange the channel lineups and then get rid of the TV channel numbers. I should be able to get a job as CEO of Roku if they are paying people to make decisions like this.

ChannelNumbers
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is making the unit unusable for myself and my folks. Why on earth would anyone think this was a good move? And if you have 2 "This Old House" channels, why separate them? I cannot even fathom the panic the developers are in now hopefully writing an update to undo this madness. What is the reasoning behind this and you are still advertising with channel numbers. Unbelievable. At least someone admit the mistake so we don't think this company is becoming inept.

winston3338
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Flcarve

Jump to solution

This is awful.  I have no idea where I am in the channel listing when scrolling through. If this is personalized will an algorithm keep changing the list adding more confusion?  Who is it personalized to, me, my wife, the kids?   Please bring the channel numbers back. 

Flcarve

Jump to solution

I’m sure the algorithm that generates the “personalized” channel listing will inject channels that Roku wants you to watch to increase their ad revenue.  It’s not about making a better experience for the viewers.  I too will explore other options for streaming TV. I am now a more savvy consumer.  

xman138364

Jump to solution

Put channel numbers back!!!!!!

I spent so long looking for Wheel of Fortune- it is over now and I never found it.