Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trashcanman
Reel Rookie

Re: What Roku guideline caused Plex to remove screensaver?

Jump to solution

hello x1,

I know of the feature and have it turned off for the reason(s) you detail.  it never forgets and when you go to play albums or shuffle you end up with songs starting halfway through or wherever they left off which is very annoying.

To add to this i like to go to a specific artist and just hit play which shuffles all their songs.  it "used" to start it's own screen saver (and i believe dim a little) with the album art & song playing bounce around the screen, not it just sets there and i get no screen saver at all, burning the album art into my screen.

This is beyond frustrating and a unnecessary change.  In a time when so little things work like you hope they would it seems some companies are out to just ruin everything that's good about something that they don't or can't have control over any way they can.  IE:  Roku forcing this change on Plex

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@trashcanman wrote:

Roku forcing this change on Plex

Be careful when you say things like that as if Roku is singling out Plex.  Believe me, nobody thinks this change is dumber than me, but all of Roku's stupidity is applied across the board without singling out any one channel.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
trashcanman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@renojim 

In what way did I "imply" this only applied to Plex?  This is a thread about Plex and the issue is affecting Plex software on Roku for myself and others.

You have a lot of nerve

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@trashcanman, I'm sorry if you feel I have a lot of nerve, but what part of "Roku forcing this change on Plex" sounds like it's not singling out Plex?  You didn't say, "Why is Roku forcing this on developers?" - you singled out Plex.  They didn't force anything on Plex; they forced it on everyone.  I was going to add more explanation about why I made the comment.  You see, I've been around here a long, long time and every time Roku makes a change there's some kind of outrage about why did Roku single out channel X when they weren't singling out anything.  See the multiple discussions re the elimination of private channels.  It quickly gets political, ugly, and gets threads locked.  I was just trying to **bleep** any sort of discussion like that in the bud.  If you think that's nervy, then I apologize.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ShotFromGuns
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

renojim, you're being condescendingly pedantic about something nobody was confused about. trashcanman, you're acting like someone just accused you of eating babies.

You both need to just chill.

0 Kudos
fraggle

Jump to solution

I've been a happy Roku user since Gen1 (XD/S was my first). I've not always been thrilled with the choices Roku has made over the years, but nothing has been even close to bad enough for me to go to Apple TV. Until now. This is a huge degradation to the user experience. I use Plex for music all the time & like to keep the playlist I'm on & go back to it later. Same with shuffling TV or Movies. I'm all Apple other than my streaming devices anyway, so time to use the Streambar for sound only. Goodbye Roku. The more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers. 

Edit: Aaaah, I think I see why they did it. Their screensaver has a McDonalds in it now (pretty sure that's new). They're selling ad space in the screensaver and want to maximize their $$$ at the expense of our experience. That's when I'm out. 

wb6vpm
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
@renojim huh? I completely understood what @trashcanman meant by what he said. Obviously, this affects all apps that had a screensaver, but this thread was specifically about Plex, so why wouldn’t his comment have been in the context of being related to Plex?
vokino

Jump to solution

I'm sorry, but as of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, I don't have information about any specific Roku guideline that caused Plex to remove screensaver. However, if you're interested in SEO services in Singapore, there are numerous agencies that offer such services to help businesses improve their online visibility and rankings. These services typically include keyword research, on-page optimization, link building, and content creation to enhance a website's performance in search engine results.

0 Kudos
PearsonFlyer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This was such an extremely bad change, poorly implemented. If I pause a playing item for more than 10-15 minutes, it's on the roku screensaver. If I hit play again, it goes back to the main Roku menu and I'm downloading whatever app was being advertised to me at that moment. So I have to hit right button instead. Which takes me back to Plex, but to the series list of episodes, and I have to restart playing the episode from the menu.

If I wait too long (and it seems to vary between 20 minutes and an hour), I am instead way back at the main Roku menu, entirely exited from the Plex app.

Whoever thought this was a good idea is insane and it should be immediately reversed. It has so poorly impacted my viewing experience that I'm considering getting rid of my Roku devices and moving to another device that doesn't make decisions like this without thinking through implications of user experience. Clearly no one at Roku is using Plex, or someone would have been fired already.

sirolij

Jump to solution

Your Roku device comes with a default screensaver that appears automatically when the Roku device is not being used. From time to time we change the default screensaver on Roku devices, and in some cases run different screensavers on select devices.

Regards: shoeofpickle

0 Kudos