Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrMark
Streaming Star

Re: Roku doesn't save YouTube search history

Jump to solution

That sounds about right...although I thought the amazon fire was an Android device...(?)

It this is true, then I find myself wondering how it came to pass that it works on Apple devices but not others, given the bitter rivalry.  Could it be because someone at Apple believed that YouTube was important enough to open a dialog with Google and work toward a mutually beneficial solution?

0 Kudos
J_Mo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@edburgos wrote:

Based on what I've seen here and my own experience, the problem seems to be a combination of the YouTube app and ad blocking. I wonder if those using pihole or a paid version of AdGuard could set up their roku device with a static ip and whitelist the offending DNS request for that IP alone. That way the rest of the network can enjoy blocking the doubleclick request.

I've never played with pihole before but I might give it a try if it's possible. I would love to report these findings to Google and see if they can do something, for sure they made some sort of change that caused this.

Within pihole, I created a group called ROKU, and placed all my roku devices into that group.  Then I created a whitelist item for static.doubleclick.net, and assigned it to the ROKU group.  This workaround allows me to use youtube search while still blocking doubleclick for the rest of the devices on my network.

MrMark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

All well and good, but this thread isn't about pihole.  If anyone can make YouTube and Roku play well together, (by any means) then you have my admiration, but in my mind, it needs to work without jumping through any hoops.

J_Mo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@MrMark wrote:

All well and good, but this thread isn't about pihole.  If anyone can make YouTube and Roku play well together, (by any means) then you have my admiration, but in my mind, it needs to work without jumping through any hoops.

I agree 100%.  Again, apologies for hijacking your thread.  I thought your issue and mine were related.

0 Kudos
MrMark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@J_Mo wrote:

apologies for hijacking your thread

Not at all - I appreciate the enlightened conversation.  After multiple attempts with both YouTube and Roku, I was almost starting to believe that there was nothing wrong (which seems insane)!

0 Kudos

Re: Watch history not updating on Roku TV YouTube App

Jump to solution

I followed all the steps here except for when I logged in I had to do so through the app on my phone and select the brand account so the one with my username instead of the one Google forced on me is the only one that shows up on the Roku and it started recording my watch history again. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
MrMark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

If you're saying that you were able to make it work somehow, I am super-interested, but I'm not understanding exactly what you did to make it work.  Can you expand on this for me?

0 Kudos
Dnoyes08

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue with Hulu and these steps didn't work. So logic says it's a Roku issue, if multiple apps are having the same problem.

0 Kudos
MrMark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It certainly does seem that way.                          

In any case, it may never get fixed if nobody at Roku cares. 

0 Kudos
drdevo

Jump to solution

What is going on with Roku TV Youtube?  I too can not see my watched history on it!  I can see it on my computer though! This sucks!  I hope Roku is really trying to fix this problem with Youtube as it seems that many people have the same problem!  Obviously there is a problem!....Please get it fixed!  I really do not want to have to defect over to Firestick! 

drdevo

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.