Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mnofrak111
Reel Rookie

WBox Tv gets sound but no video when streaming apps

Jump to solution

I have a W Box LED TV Model OE-55LED4k which was manufactured in June 2017.  I hooked up the Roku to the only HDMI port that would accept it which was HDMI 4.  When the TV turns on it displays 720p HZ60 in the upper right corner,  During Roku set up the Roku program said it could not detect a picture display and defaulted to 1080p.  Manually resetting to 720p or one of the other settings listed in the Roku picture display settings seemed to have no effect.  The Roku remote, home screen, and other stuff works fine.  But when I open an app like Xfinity Stream or You Tube (or presumably any other app) and choose something to watch I get only sound and either no picture whatsoever or a distorted picture that freezes after ten seconds or so.  I checked the internet, plugged/unplugged the TV and did a factory reset all to no avail.  I also read a lot of these posts and discerned that sometimes the "aspect" of the picture can be adjusted to solve a similar problem. There are some controls on the TV remote pertaining to aspect and a "wider" screen setting but I tried them and they did not solve the problem.   Is there a solution here that someone might be able to suggest or is the TV too old?

Mnofrak111

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: WBox Tv gets sound but no video when streaming apps

Jump to solution

@mnofrak111 

Looking at the main board for this TV, it looks like HDMI4 (the one located near the USB port) is a MHL port.  Could explain why it feels loose. (Generally, need to use a MHL certified cable to use with this type of port)

Try again to place the Roku 3820 into one of the other 3 HDMI ports. (the three that are lined up.  does not matter if you use HDMI 1 (arc), or HDMI 2 or HDMI 3.) If you have trouble getting the stick to fit, try turning the stick upside down.  Sometimes, these HDMI ports will have some "tangs" that kind of prevent some HDMI devices/cables from being inserted, so just need to press these down with a little screwdriver or blade. (wondering if this is the issue you are having with the Stick not fitting).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@mnofrak111 

What is the model number of your Roku device and the Software build number?  Both of these can be found under Settings/System/About.

When you say "...hooked up the Roku to the only HDMI port that would accept it which was HDMI 4", do you mean that was the only available HDMI port or that HDMI 4 port was the only port that the signal would work on?

---

Try connecting the power cable to the wall outlet for power, and try using a different HDMI cable. (or at least make sure the HDMI cable is firmly seated at both the Roku device and the TV.  When you select a channel/app and you start to hear audio, try unplugging the HDMI cable from the TV and reinserting it to see if picture now becomes available.  

Do you have another TV you can try the Roku device on?

My Roku devices are working on TVs much older than yours, so filling in some of the missing information from your posting above will hopefully provide some insight.   

0 Kudos
mnofrak111
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The Model Number is 3820X Streaming Stick 4K.  Software 11.5.0 build 4312-CU.  The Roku unit in the W Box Tv set that won't work properly worked fine on another TV.  The Roku unit in the other Tv would not work properly on the W Box.  The W Box works best when the display setting is set to 4K but the Roku wants to use 1080p.  It is still unwatchable with the setting on 4K.  I tried the other suggestions you gave me and they did not help.  I have extra HDMI wires, but none that will accept the existing Roku HDMI cord.  The HDMI connection seems loose compared to the other TV but there is no improvement if you hold it tight when trying to stream or jiggle it around.  I connected to a wall electrical socket and no change.  Perhaps the Model number and build information will inspire you and you can give me another suggestion or two.  Thank you for your assistance and help so far.

MNofrak111

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@mnofrak111 

Looking at the main board for this TV, it looks like HDMI4 (the one located near the USB port) is a MHL port.  Could explain why it feels loose. (Generally, need to use a MHL certified cable to use with this type of port)

Try again to place the Roku 3820 into one of the other 3 HDMI ports. (the three that are lined up.  does not matter if you use HDMI 1 (arc), or HDMI 2 or HDMI 3.) If you have trouble getting the stick to fit, try turning the stick upside down.  Sometimes, these HDMI ports will have some "tangs" that kind of prevent some HDMI devices/cables from being inserted, so just need to press these down with a little screwdriver or blade. (wondering if this is the issue you are having with the Stick not fitting).

0 Kudos
mnofrak111
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, that was it.  I pulled the TV away from the wall and got back there and worked the Roku device into HDMI 3 and it just barely fit, the connection was tight,  and registered as 1080p and it worked.  Thank you so much.

Mnofrak111