Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DbJaxn
Reel Rookie

VidAngel App... Switching to FireStick or Apple TV

Please bring back VidAngel App.  The reason I have stayed with Roku devices for so long was that fact there were SO MANY apps available. I have been using Roku for nearly 10 years, but it's finally time for me to change.

VidAngel allows me to watch shows with my children without exposing them bad language and sex scenes.  If I can no longer watch movies with my children using a Roku device then why have a Roku device?

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: VidAngel App... Switching to FireStick or Apple TV

@DbJaxn 

Roku has an app process. The apps must meet coding standards. Netflix has to meet the standards. Hulu has to meet the standards. Disney has to meet the standards.

The VIdAngel did not meet standards. It was never in the Channel Store. VidAngel was one of the developers that abused the app process by building an app that was not up to standard, then putting it out for the public. That was fine, as it was essentially a massive beta repository. But, with so many abuses of that -- developers not coding to standard, but putting apps in the non-certified repository and just leaving them there -- Roku finally cracked down.

All developers were aware of this, and had 120 days to get the app up to standards. And the standard that many did not meet was the Roku Pay standard. Apps for subscription services -- that includes the ones I mentioned earlier -- have to allow (not require, but must allow) the user to subscribe through Roku Pay. The VidAngel app never did that.

All apps that failed to meet standard were removed after 120 days (actually, 121 days). So, do not expect Roku to waive standards for VidAngel or any app. They need to follow the same rules as everyone else.

You've found other platforms that have the app, so you should be good to go. But do understand that Roku isn't going to bend the rules for them, or anyone.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

JamieFBCH

Are Roku's standards different than Apple TV and Amazon Firestick?  I agree with following the rules, but I am getting ready to upgrade my devices and I would like to stick to Roku but if VidAngel is unable to meet their requirements then I will need to consider other devices.  Do you know if VidAngel and Roku are trying to work this out of have they completely cut ties? 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@JamieFBCH wrote:

... Do you know if VidAngel and Roku are trying to work this out of have they completely cut ties? 

Anyone who would know would be bound by NDA to say nothing.

Personally, I don't expect a resolution soon. From the way VidAngel has conducted themselves, I expect they won't submit an app. And, while I don't know the reason, I suspect it is because they didn't include Roku Pay, as required. Roku would take a percentage of the subscription (similar to what Apple does) if a user subscribes via Roku Pay. I don't think Apple requires an option to subscribe via Apple Pay or iTunes, but if the app allows it, they'll take their cut. Roku requires the option (although the user does not to utilize it), and that's why some developers of subscription content have been rejected or not re-submitted under the new requirements.

I also suspect -- again, I don't know -- that Roku is reluctant to do business with them, as VidAngel already lost one court challenge totaling millions of dollars, and if other studios filed and won, Roku might be held responsible for a share of the judgement.

If VidAngel is a must when you purchase a new streaming device, I'd suggest going a different route.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos