Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Re: Unwanted Channels being added without permission

Good luck. If you find a way around this, please, please, please post here and let us know.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@rawlsrules, disable the screensaver and I bet it never happens again.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

@rawlsrules wrote:

Added the clock. I do not need more activity on my screen: it jumps all around the screen for some unfathomable reason.

I assume you mean the clock screen saver.  Screen savers are not supposed to be static - that's a major strategy for saving a screen.  That said, the typical LCD screen probably doesn't need saving anyway, so disabling altogether may be an option for you.

0 Kudos
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

I have never had a "screensaver" until briefly trying the clock this morning and I removed it right away.

Whenever Roku has tried to change my screen for holiday themes or whatever it is that they seem to think I want, I change it back to the default screen, which I guess is called a "wallpaper".

Are you saying there is something that is neither wallpaper or screensaver?

0 Kudos
renojim

@rawlsrules, this thread is about unwanted channels (apps) and in spite of what many people in this thread believe they're getting added from one of the Roku screensavers.  What you appear to be referring to is the seasonal themes or "Wallpaper updates" that can be disabled in the settings.  If you're talking about something else, give some more details about what's happening.

0 Kudos
Ben48174
Channel Surfer

@renojim 

The discussion about the screensaver is pertaining to the unwanted apps. Certain screen savers and wallpapers (including the Roku default one) are riddled with ads and channels that get added on automatically when you try and return to the homepage. This theory is correct however it only accounts for a fraction of the problems ppl are having with unwanted channels. For example just in the last 14 hours 3 channels have been added to my account (one old, 2 new ones) and I have screen saver and wallpapers turned off as well as every possible setting turned off to avoid ads and channels being added yet to no avail Roku added more channels to my account. So far there is no concrete solutions except try what others have tried here with screen savers and whatnot or just keep deleting like I'm stuck doing. A side note, this seams to be plague the new higher end devices as apposed to the lowe end box devices that attach to the TV. 

0 Kudos
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Replying to my own post as an edit:

I did not know the correct definitions of wallpaper and screensaver and misused the term screensaver.

Unfortunately, it makes no difference in my experience.

0 Kudos
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

I just edited one of my earlier posts: I did not know the difference between wallpaper and screensaver. I do now.

Until it was suggested, yesterday, that I try the clock screensaver, I had never used a screensaver. I tried it for about two minutes.

As far as the updates to wallpaper: along with every other opportunity to choose an update or a notification, I disable if the default is on, when there is a choice, I always choose "No". Despite that, Roku periodically changes my wallpaper. And, I always change it back. I have never chosen updates.

It is not just a matter of belief: I know that unwanted channels are added to my roku screen regardless of what I do.

0 Kudos
renojim

@rawlsrules, I'm sorry it's impossible to figure out what you're speaking of when you mix the terms screensaver, wallpaper, and channels as if they're the same thing.  "Channels" are apps and have nothing to do with screensavers or wallpapers which also have nothing to do with each other.

0 Kudos
Charitysmama
Streaming Star

Hello, dear ones, I didn't mean to start a battle or word storm when I asked this question a year or two ago.  I pay each month to YT ($12) for no ads and have noticed that I don't get as many auto channels added, I don't know if that helps or not.  I 99.9% watch YT, can't stand the ads on the other channels, but have noticed that if I do start watching another channel (I only watch the free ones) I get a new channel added to my homepage. Interesting.  ROKU likes to think for me.

0 Kudos