Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nan1

Unable to access EPIX channel on my Samsung SMART TV

I'm new to streaming...I recently purchased a Samsung SMART TV and hooked up a ROKU device to the other non-SMART TV. I was able to download the ROKU Channel and access the EPIX channel on the non-SMART TV with the the ROKU device; however, on the SMART TV, I was able to download the ROKU channel but EPIX can't be accessed. Why is that?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to access EPIX channel on my Samsung SMART TV

@Nan1 

First, keep in mind that Samsung doesn't make Roku TVs. They have their own smart TV platform (Tizen). So we really can't help you with that. But, just to give you some information that might help ...

You have two different platforms running. You have the Roku platform on your other TV, via a Roku device. And you have a Samsung platform on your Samsung device. So, two totally different platforms: Samsung (on the Samsung) and Roku (on the other TV).

You have Roku Channel installed on Samsung, but that does not make it a Roku. It simply accesses Roku Channel, one of the thousands of apps that you can use on Roku.

Epix is available via Roku Channel, and that's true of both setups, since you have Roku Channel on your Roku and you said you installed Roku Channel on Samsung.

Should you subscribe to Epix via Roku Channel, you can only watch Epix with you're on Roku Channel, whether the TV with Roku or the Samsung.

If you already have an Epix subscription directly through Epix, you can download the Epix app on your Roku device (on the other TV), which I think you did (though it's not clear about that). But then, you'd need to find the Epix app on Samsung. And you would contact Samsung for that.

Or, you could put a Roku on your Samsung and use that instead of the Samsung apps.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Nan1

Yes, I understand about the Roku device and Roku channel. I also am aware that the Samsung TV is not a Roku but can only access the Roku channel and that I can only watch EPIX while on the Roku Channel. I've already successfully downloaded the EPIX app on the TV with the Roku device. The only issue is that I can't access the EPIX channel via the Roku channel on the Samsung SMART TV. I'll contact Samsung.

0 Kudos
Nan1

I contacted Samsung about the EPIX app. They told me I need to contact Roku which is impossible as they make it impossible to speak to support.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Nan1 

Here's the piece that's missing, I think.

The Epix app on the Roku is not the same thing as Epix on Roku Channel.

With Roku, there are three separate ways to get Epix.

1. Epix app, subscribing to Epix.
  2. Epix app, subscribing through Roku Pay.
  3. Epix on Roku Channel (not the same as Epix app).

Those are separate, and a subscription via one does NOT give you access via another.

From what I'm reading, you have the Epix app on your Roku device, and can watch that way. If you subscribed directly (item 1), then you can watch on any Epix app on any device.

If you subscribed via Roku Pay (item 2), then you can watch on any of your Roku devices (but only on Roku devices) via the Epix app.

If you subscribed via Roku Channel (item 3), then you can only watch via Roku Channel (or, on Roku devices, the separate Epix on Roku Channel app, which is not exactly an app, but more like a shortcut to Epix within Roku Channel).

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos