Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lisabruni
Reel Rookie

System Buffers while watching TV or any app

We have a Roku TV in our living that has no issues at all, but the TV that uses a Roku small box in our bedroom which is right next to our router have been lately buffering.  My wife can be watching tv in there and within 15 mins of her starting the system starts to buffer.

We have been thinking if maybe the Livingroom tv or my PC (which is hardwire to the router) maybe pulling more but why would it have just started doing this a month ago, it should have been doing it from the start.  I had to stop her last night just from kicking the tv she was so mad that it kept buffering and buffering, we even switched Roku boxes and it still does it, what is causing this issue?

Our internet/cable provider is Spectrum.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: System Buffers while watching TV or any app

You don't mention the TV being hard wired, so I assume it is connecting to your home network via WiFi.

If your router is using a WiFi channel that receives a lot of interference it can severely impact WiFi performance.  The crowded 2.4 GHz WiFi band is particularly susceptible to this, since in addition to other nearby routers, this band is also used by many other WiFi-controlled devices, Bluetooth applications, and microwave ovens.

If you have access to your router's control panel, see if changing the channel it is using helps with your situation.  In the 2.4 GHz band, Rokus can use channels 1-11 as are used in North America, but not 12-14 that are used in some other regions.  Channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap each other and so may give the best chance at reducing interference, but depending on what channels your neighbors may be using others may give better results..

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
lisabruni
Reel Rookie

No once he put the TV on Ruko, we got rid of the cable box so yeah the TV is wifi,  we have tried swapping out Roku streaming boxes but still did it, I was thinking maybe both of them were going bad already and just a new one would fix the issue. but this problem just started after Spectrum did their update like a month ago.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @lisabruni,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem connecting your Roku device to the network. Please try to restart the modem and router by unplugging them from the wall outlet for a minute and plugging them back in. Restart cleans out the cache to keep it running more smoothly and allows the router to re-select the least crowded channel for each frequency, which means a stronger connection to your devices. Do you have cellular data? If the issue persists, try connecting your Roku device to your hotspot.

Let us know how it goes, and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.