Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rancherman
Reel Rookie

Starlink and local channels

After installing  Starlink,  and then  a  Roku Express,   I'm ready to cut the cable cord.

Got the usual starter apps installed,  and  Hulu w/local channels.   unfortunately,   I'm in middle of  Nebraska,  but Starlink ground station for me is  Denver Co.   So sure,  I get all of Colorado's news,  and in a different time zone.   I guess  it's more a nuisance... I'd like my 'local news' from about 400 miles closer!! 

I see  'call roku for assisance'  has been the  go-to for this Starlink issue.. but before I spend the next  several hours getting  help,  is this a workable problem?   Haven't seen any follow up posts saying 'all is well now'.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
davidjazz
Roku Guru

Re: Starlink and local channels

A quick search of the Roku Streaming store yielded at least two stand-alone apps for Nebraska news (there may be others):

News Channel Nebraska (NCN)

NBC KNOP Nebraska News 2

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Unfortunately, the service provider (in this case yours is Hulu) can only determine your local stations by your IP address, which is usually assigned based on your ISP's connection to the Internet itself. I don't know if Hulu offers any method of assigning your location manually, but that would be a question only they can answer. Your only other option is if Starlink can assign you to a closer ground station than you're currently using. 

Calling Roku for assistance will not be of any help, as this is not something under their control. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@rancherman-

Roku doesn't determing what local channels you get, Hulu does.  You should be able to set your home location via your Hulu online account.

Hulu page re managing home network: https://help.hulu.com/article/hulu-manage-home-network

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
denhow
Roku Guru

In the NewsON app, looking at

'By Location > Nebraska'

there are four stations listed.

0 Kudos
rancherman
Reel Rookie

not in this case.   I went to that page,  and  it told me  'no need to change your home,  you are already there'  

But thanks anyway!!   I'll reach out to Hulu to  hear what they say.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.