Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillinGa
Reel Rookie

Re: Sound issues Directv app with Roku

Update- perhaps due to an update, this is now happening less often than it was before. I haven’t noticed the issue in the last 2 weeks or so. We watch about 4 hours a day (direct stream channels).

0 Kudos
Simons007
Reel Rookie

Roku support. Please pass this to a developer. It is a Roku problem. Here is why:

The issue is something in the DirecTV stream is corrupting the audio codec. My guess is DirecTv sends this same stream to all clients (Roku, AppleTV, etc) but only the codec on the Roku is being corrupted. You are right that channels develop their own apps, but they use the Roku SDK to do that and my guess is the audio codec that is being corrupted is from the Roku SDK. So it is Roku code that is failing. Channels do not write audio codecs.

Roku needs to either fix the codec or at least repro, debug and tell DirecTv why their stream is breaking your codec.

Roku - Step up to the plate and don't don't pass the buck.

Signed a software developer

hiku
Channel Surfer

It may be aa described, an issue between Direct TV's stream and Roku's codec. But that doesn't absolve ATT of responsibility for a remedy,

Direct TV is well aware of this issue but, much like with even the issues their own programmers create, they appear to be doing nothing about it.

So both ATT (Direct TV) and Roku get a big fat "F" imho, in this instance.

Before this issue rose up, I remember there was a issue with the Audio going out of sync with the video. Could it be that what ever solution was applied as a fix, that it wasn't a true fix (as to the root cause) but some 'work around' remedy that now reusults in the audio stream crashing over time?

But in any case, there are two bid companies taking consumer money but not delivering the expected [erformance.

0 Kudos
Amp3

Thank you.  This fixed my intermittent audio issues.

0 Kudos
bromano
Reel Rookie

Well...Congratulations Roku and DirecTV.  We are starting to replace our TV's and external sticks from Roku to Amazon.  I am not an Amazon fan, but without input and fixes from Roku and DirecTV, I am tired of having to change channels and go back to fix the sound. Sometimes the sound distortion causes a substantial increase in noise and volume, scaring half the people in the room.  Roku, you just lost my business and future upgrades to new equipment.  We have 6 TV's in the house and all the Roku equipment is literally getting thrown out. Failure to admit the problem, even if it was DirecTV's implementation on your platform, I would have expected something a lot more than silence.

Poppy2
Streaming Star

Problem still exists and is getting worse, yet neither company will get involved in this issue. I'm really pissed off. Not likely to buy anything else from Roku unless they make DirecTV fix their issue!!!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Poppy2

Thanks for the post.

If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Directv channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it. I'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
hiku
Channel Surfer

Do you (ROKU) not comprehend that the problem is NOT with any specific "channel" (such as Discovery; History, HBO etc.) but rather with ANY randomly selected channel offered by DIRECT TV?

Besides that, it occurs (sometimes) as much as 5 times per viewing hour; and that is unreasonable. The audio can go from normal to dead silent or 70% reduced to 25% louder accompanied by distortion. And it will remain corrupted (on the channel being viewed) unless a different channel is selected prior to moving back to the one whose audio got corrupted..

How long Is ROKU and DIRECT TV going to ignore finding a remedy? I intond to call my credit card company and protest the last 3 months of charges as the service remains unusable for the purpose intended.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@hiku  The issue is with DirecTV Stream. DirecTV develops the channel. Not Roku. So if you’re unsatisfied then take it up with DirecTV. It was happening even when it still was AT&T TV. I myself experienced the issue. But it’s a monthly subscription and if you’re not satisfied you can cancel at any time. I use YouTube TV now. 

0 Kudos
Wkillham
Reel Rookie

I have 6 Roku devices and two of them came built-in to the TVs. One of them is in Maryland and 5 are in SC. All of them have this issue and all of them only do it with Directv stream. They’ve all been doing it since the service was AT&T. How can it be anything other than the direct tv app?

0 Kudos