Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ManPox
Reel Rookie

Re: SiriusXM shuts off after 20 minutes

Jump to solution

All should observe the evidence of stress brought about in large part from the problematic and intermittent SiriusXM streaming service when accessed through a Roku device. Most of us have phones, laptops and other devices. This forum is supposed to cover streaming through a Roku device - otherwise I'd be somewhere else. Doesn't that just go without saying. If I go to doctor and complain about a problem performing tasks with my right hand he shouldn't tell me to have my wife perform tasks or for me to use my left hand.

MelG
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@elliedale9 ... Wow, you gave an awesome bold reply!!

Thank you!!

🥰🥰👍👍👍💙

0 Kudos
ManPox
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Manpox update - it's nearly official, "Streaming SiriusXM via Roku" could soon be added to lists of "20 Things You Can Do in 20 Minutes"! There's some pushback from supporters of "Do a Closet Purge" and "Take an Epsom Salts Bath", but I think a short term music experience will win. Who can really toss cookies for 20 minutes anyway?

Back to business. Yesterday I had a brainstorm and swapped out my old Roku Express 3930X for an older Roku 2 3000D. Why? My theory was the swap would allow me to add a Micro SD card (32GB C10) to the 3000D and possibly allow it to better handle the huge quantities of data. Set up new device but didn't add the memory card. Installed SiriusXM app and checked for updates on both Roku and Sirius. Favorites were different, most notably the Xtra channels (the only channels that previously streamed for > 20 minutes). BUT......all channels played for over 20 minutes with no error messages, errors, shut down, etc. 

So one day is not an extended test period, I understand. but previously no matter what I tried the streaming stopped. Very likely fewer channels installed on new device but I never had very many. So I'll look for my Xtra channels and see how it goes. My technical knowledge is maybe 6/10 or so, but main problem seemed to be quantity of data streamed by Sirius to support play back/forward on all the channels and how the different Roku devices handled that. Fresh device, blank memory, could be helping me, in which case it won't last. If/when it fails again I'll add memory card and see if that fixes things as I originally hypothesized.

Has anyone used Micro SD memory cards within this 20 minute stream failure?

Good luck to all and I'll report back soon with results. I'll be busy listening to 24/7 NON STOP music from SiriusXM, so I may be delayed.

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rabidbaby  because absolutely no one gets it. Roku is a streaming platform. Companies develop channels to work on the Roku platform. Companies such as Netflix, Disney, Hulu. Amazon, Google, Paramount and more develop there own channels. When Roku is updating to a new OS they inform these companies. That way they can start coding there channels to work with the new OS when it is released. Same goes for Microsoft and Apple. When Microsoft is about to release a new version of Windows they contact app developers. Such as Adobe. If Adobe fails to update there coding for Acrobat and the app no longer works is that Microsofts issue? No. It's Adobes. In a few months Apple is going to releases iOS 16. Once iOS 16 is released and your Alexa app no longer works whos fault is it? Certainly not Apples. Amazon will need to release a new version to work with iOS 16. Getting anything?

It is up to the SiriusXM developers to fix the issue with there channel on Roku devices. So complaining on here over and over will not accomplish anything. Have a nice day. 

Vakko
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@ManPox  please see the image. Notice the developer. I have spoken. This is the way.

Capture.PNG

rabidbaby
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Vakko Either you haven't read the full forum or you've forgotten everything you've read. I was the first person to respond to this thread, so I've been getting email updates of every response since Day 1. I know what's going on. 

There are dozens of posts in the thread (including several from me) written by people reporting on what they learned when communicating directly with SiriusXM. People are exchanging information, offering each other workarounds, and also giving tips on how to get credit from SiriusXM for the inconvenience. Only a few posts have exclusively blamed Roku and said it's Roku's fault that the Sirius app is busted. The majority of us understand how it works and know that Roku didn't write the code. We also understand that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the more you complain -- and the more PLACES you complain -- the likely you are to get heard.

As someone else mentioned earlier today, Roku has also encouraged participation in this forum by asking users to contribute information about their devices and what they're experiencing. In other words, they're giving the impression that this forum does matter and could contribute to solving the issue. 

Vakko
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Michelle3  Everyone actually thinks that. Not just in this thread. They blame Roku when Netflix, Disney or Hulu is not working properly. 

Vakko
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rabidbaby  Roku employees have asked users to provide details. But most people are just complaining without providing all the necessary information that was asked of them by Danny and others on the Roku team. 

ManPox
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Look back to my original post and you'll see I contacted both SiriusXM (FIRST) and then Roku customer service. I agree it would seem to be a SiriusXM issue since they appear to have made the first "update", Roku then scrambled on how to make it work properly. Fair enough. But if they succeeded we wouldn't be talking here, just like the 100's of times other updates are initiated. Fact is they didn't. SiriusXM whole business is pushing content on people - if there wasn't a means to access it, they'd be bust. So Roku, all the smart tv makers, car devices like VWCarPlay and so many others avail themselves to  allow folks to utilize their access products to get the content. If they ALL failed, SiriusXM wouldn't be beating their chest about their hot streaming content because nobody could get it.

So in this case, Roku and several others are having issues with handling SiriusXM stream content. Fair enough, maybe SiriusXM should make changes and "fix" it. That would be great. Do you think none of us are contacting Sirius? Being kind, any and all customer service efforts I've had with SiriusXM have been zeroes - negative numbers not allowed. Roku had maybe rated out at a .5 on a 1-10 scale. So bottom line, the two entities have a mutually beneficial yet nearly completely separate existence. There has to become cooperation because they make it work as well as it does, but this time it appears to be a standoff.

So you can post any fancy pics of SiriusXM graphics you want, but it makes no sense to view it as a one sided affair. If Roku made all previous versions of SiriusXM work, the do it again. If certain devices are indeed outdated and incapable of dealing with SiriusXM stream, then state that fact. Dancing around it in an effort not to lose customers will have an effect - they'll lose customers. And if I wanted to bluetooth from my phone or laptop to my audio/TV system, then I'll do that thank you,but if I want to continue to use my 2021 Samsung smart TV (failed) or one or more Roku devices (failed but maybe working now) that's my facking business and I don't need you and/or others to insist that's what I should do.

mizebonyangel
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I contacted SiriusXM and was advised that an update was released today (v3.0 build 44).  The representative said it may take 24 hours for all devices to receive it.  I uninstalled the SiriusXM app and reinstalled it.  So far the app has been playing for almost one hour with no interruptions.  I am going to let it play at least a few more hours.   I really hope this is the resolution to a problem that existed for two months!

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.