Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dogsoap
Channel Surfer

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

😓I just realized that Recompressor is really only a quick fix if you've got the proper audio on the file and direct play enabled. Stripped the color header on everything after a few hours of clicking. Now I've gotta add DD5.1 and stereo to everything! What a mess. Tempted to just pick up an Onn 4k box for $20 or a Chromecast 4k for $29 and forget about all of this.

0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

@dogsoap

Bro - I agree with you...This was discussed many times on here but this thread is so long.... That's one thing I've always done...before I put anything on Plex I made sure it's not an audio that Roku ultra will not direct play....Mostly stereo or AC3 5.1... then I just set the Roku Ultra's to direct play on auto but allow direct stream... It never direct streams..

One thing about other Plex Players is (from what I understand) autoplay doesn't work.. Only on Roku (that might not be an issue for you) but it's a major one for me. I'm not talking about Plex autoplay with the countdown and then things stop playing after a couple of hours... I'm talking about the repeat all setting when you start an episode so it just keeps playing until you stop it. The only workaround is to create a playlist (which isn't difficult)

I still can't believe they haven't fixed this....

0 Kudos
EOC_Jason
Reel Rookie

After reading over this thread, it seems like way too much of a headache for me to alter thousands of files for a bug that should be fixed by Roku (or Plex?)... So frustrating as playing content from my Plex server was the main reason I just got a streaming stick 4k. If they haven't bothered to fix the issue in literally the past two years I'm not holding my breath... Guess I'll just return it and look for a product from a different company. I'm both happy and sad I found this thread, at least I know I wasn't the only person with this issue.

0 Kudos
Ahslan
Binge Watcher

Yup. I took also gave up and just switched to a fire tv 4k max stick. I still have a Roku streaming stick+ that works but basically stopped using my Roku Express 4k+ because of this bug. The change to a Realtek processor in 2021 seems to line up with when this issue started. I wouldn't recommend anybody buy a Roku past their 2019 models.

0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

I starting thinking... Perhaps Roku knows of this bug but won't fix it because they don't want people using their device to play media... but they want you streaming instead... Just a thought

0 Kudos
EOC_Jason
Reel Rookie

Good to know that the fire stick 4k works, looks like I'll grab one of those instead!

0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

@EOC_Jason I'm not 100% certain...but I think the firestick can play almost any codec. I know my old firestick would play old .AVI XviD or DivX but Plex has to transcode them on Roku.. Same with AAC multi channel.... i'm not sure if you use the repeat function on your Roku, but keep in mind, from what I understand, that function doesn't work on any non-roku player. there's a LONG plex thread of people complaining for years. The repeat function is there but it doesn't work... the only autoplay you get is the countdown between episodes before it starts the next one then it times out after so long and you have to intervene to start it again.. The workaround is to create a playlist... This would bother the **bleep** out of me but some people may not be phased by it...

0 Kudos
jtodd76
Binge Watcher

I haven't been following the posts for a while but just managed to come across a setting in Plex that solved a lot of these issues for me personally and might help others in their situation. In Plex settings on my Roku, I went to Video and changed Local quality and Remote Quality to "Original" and also changed Direct Play to "Force". Now, I don't have to change each individual TV show or movie to force direct play. I had one particular TV show that was red tint on every episode and we would just change it for each one to force direct play and now we don't have to. I'm not saying this will help for everyone but it did for me and hoping this works for some. You may lose audio for some files and I'm sure I read about this in other posts. If this has already been mentioned in a previous post, I apologize. I haven't read through all of them.

0 Kudos
Thanosazlin
Reel Rookie

i contacted Roku support provided them all the evidence that it's the 4800s , i have older roku models ultra 4k that don't have this issue as well as even older 1080p based roku.  i even bought off amazon a new 4802 same Fing issue !! i returned it to amazon.. i opened my ticket in Nov. with Roku and they told they were looking into it and i replied many times and still no replies, i've given up on Roku now , I have 5 rokus in my house, i'm just going to stick with LG and Samsung Tvs and use their built in Plex app as well as other apps, Roku is not needed anymore these days TVs have even process power to handle things.  What a waste Roku, your going to lost many more customers because of situations like this.

KGetting

I have the same issue. As a programmer, this seems pretty ridiculous that the issue has yet to be fixed. The fix seems pretty easy to me and straight forward. The simplest workaround (Windows) for me is to run this script from a bat file, which clears the 4 header fields for any mkv file that it finds in the same folder:

for %%i in (*.mkv) do (
  mkvpropedit "%%i" --edit track:v1 -d colour-range -d colour-transfer-characteristics -d colour-primaries -d colour-matrix-coefficients
)

This assumes you have MKVToolNix installed and the System Environment variable Path has an entry similar to this: C:\Program Files\MKVToolNix

0 Kudos