Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Obnoxious screaming during ROKU add

I also rush to mute TV when it comes on..  love Roku and hate the ad.  Roku can do better 

Problemtv

Screaming commercial please stop

Problemtv

Re: Screaming commercial please stop

Please stop this horrible commercial. It doesn’t even make sense. It is so awful it makes me want to turn off the tv

andbiond

Screaming commercials horrendous!

• The screaming commercials are horrendous! 

How did something like these get approved and who approved ? 

Is someone asleep at the wheel?

SmokinTexan
Reel Rookie

Screaming Commercial is Ridiculous

What were yall think with the ridiculous and offensive screaming commercial. I already got a Roku TV why are you torturing me with this nonsense? You are bringing chaos into my house and I have had enough ! Fix it and remove this horrible commercial 

SmokinTexan
Reel Rookie

Screaming Actors Commercial is Horrible

The screaming commercial needs to go. I already own a Roku TV and you’re punishing me with two actors acting crazy and yelling . It is completely inappropriate and bringing chaos into my house. I am relaxing at home I don’t want to hear two people yelling at the top of their lungs. If this commercial does not stop I will quite using this company. You might want to listen to your customers cause I know I am not the only one that feels this way.

EM3
Reel Rookie

Hey, Roku - Stop the Roku Channel screaming commercials to market new tv's with volume leveling.

From Google AI...  

AI Overview

A class action against Roku could be filed alleging that they intentionally design their TV streaming ads to be excessively loud, in conjunction with the ad agency responsible for creating them, with the goal of pressuring consumers to purchase new Roku TVs with volume leveling features to mitigate the issue, essentially using disruptive ads as a sales tactic to drive new hardware sales.
Key points of the *:
  • Unfairly loud ads:
    The primary claim would be that Roku's streaming ads are deliberately set at a significantly higher volume than other content, creating a jarring and unpleasant experience for viewers.
  • Intention to sell new TVs:
    The * would argue that Roku is aware of the annoyance caused by loud ads and is using this tactic to incentivize users to buy newer Roku TVs that have automatic volume leveling features to address the issue.
  • Deceptive marketing:
    The * could also claim that Roku is not transparent about their strategy to use loud ads as a sales tactic, potentially constituting deceptive marketing practices.
Who could be included in the class action:
  • Any Roku user who has experienced excessively loud ads on their Roku device.
Potential defendants:
Roku Inc and The ad agency responsible for creating the Roku streaming ads.
Possible legal arguments:
  • Consumer protection laws:
    Claims could be made under state consumer protection laws that prohibit unfair and deceptive business practices.
  • Unfair trade practices:
    Allegations of unfair trade practices could be made based on the argument that Roku is using manipulative tactics to drive sales of new TVs.
  • Intentional infliction of emotional distress:
    In some cases, depending on the severity of the loud ads, plaintiffs might argue that they caused emotional distress.
Important considerations: 

• Arbitration clause:
    Roku often has mandatory arbitration clauses in its terms of service, which could limit the ability to file a class action *.
  • Evidence needed:
    Plaintiffs would need to gather evidence such as recordings of the excessively loud ads, consumer surveys, and expert testimony to support their claims
Kublaikhan
Reel Rookie

Re: “Screaming” commercial has gotta go

It's going to be a long winter.

Roku spent a fortune on this offensive campaign.

Roku releases new ad campaign ahead of holiday season
“We just want to make sure that Roku products are top of mind,” the CTV maker’s director of marketing and devices said.
article cover

Screenshot via @RokuUS/YouTube
ByJasmine Sheena
October 4, 2024

• less than 3 min read

Imagine that it’s Thanksgiving Day. You’re back at your parents’ house for the holidays. That one relative is asking when you’re getting married, so you retire to the living room to watch some TV. But…you can’t find the darn remote.

That type of frustration is a central theme of Roku’s new ad campaign, “Less screaming. More streaming.” The campaign, which is slated to run on Roku’s owned social media channels and on The Roku Channel, includes three spots featuring families screaming at each other over issues with their TVs.

Lo and behold, they decide to switch to Roku—which calms them all down.

continue below
SPONSORED BY
Sponsor Logo

Start your holiday prep now with Rokt’s Hottest Holiday Season Ever playbook. This holiday playbook lays out the latest innovative technologies, hyper-relevant customer experiences, and nontraditional tactics that will help you meet your customers’ needs. See the five key shifts you need to be prepared for in this $1 trillion season.

The campaign debuts ahead of the holiday shopping season, which Adobe Analytics has projected will reach $240.8 billion in domestic online retail sales between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31. That’s a time when consumers may be looking for products like Roku’s, Colleen McGee, Roku’s director of marketing and devices, told Marketing Brew.

Stream queen: Why release the ad campaign now? According to McGee, the company’s consumer insights team found that consumers draft their shopping lists about three months in advance of the holidays, well before Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

“Q4 is a big shopping timeframe, but as you can tell, these [ads] are not really holiday-themed,” she told us. “It’s more about when we know people are going to be in the market looking for products that meet their streaming needs. We just want to make sure that Roku products are top of mind.”

To that end, the campaign is designed to compliment ads consumers might see on the media outlets of retailers that carry Roku’s products, McGee said.

“I think the campaign fits perfectly in that strategy to intercept consumers while they’re shopping with this message,” she said.

Closer to the holidays, McGee added, Roku will run its “Joyfully, Roku” campaign for the third year in a row.

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Re: Screaming Actors Commercial is Horrible

@SmokinTexan  I heartily second that emotion!  That has to be one of the most obnoxious commercials ever! I race to mute the screen asap, whenever that awful mess of cacophony begins, it's also a lot louder than the programming I may be watching, which only compounds the torture. What are these people thinking? Is Roku seriously trying to lose customers?

andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Screaming Actors Commercial is Horrible

Where are you seeing this ad? What company is it advertising for? Even on The Roku Channel, Roku doesn't control all ads

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.