Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fronk
Channel Surfer

Same ap on Roku v Fire; different ads?

My local news station has an app to watch the news. (WNEP)

During their commercial breaks, when I watch said app on FireTV I don't see any political ads... WONDERFUL!!!!

When I watch the SAME app on Roku I see Biden ads after Biden ads during break...

I've even had BOTH apps on at the same time on 2 TV's and sure enough the political ads are ONLY on Roku version of the SAME app.

Why and how do I stop it?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
davidjazz
Roku Guru

Re: Same ap on Roku v Fire; different ads?

That's interesting. I can think of a reason why that may be so.

Remember that when it comes to any advertising medium, there is a buyer, a seller, and a product. The buyer is the advertiser, the seller in this case is Roku or FireTV (Amazon), and the product is you.

Every television show is created to attract a certain demographic: age, sex, location, etc.  Advertisers buy time to reach that demographic.

Since WNEP should reach the same demographic on either Roku or FireTV, it would come down to which service reaches the most eyeballs for the money.

I haven't been able to find hard numbers on users, but anecdotally Roku may have more across the demographics lines. Just a guess.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Perhaps Roku’s demographics skew older than Fire’s?  If so, then I could see where political ads would tend towards Roku (since older people are much more likely to vote.)  On the other hand, I believe many product advertisers don’t really target older people much. (Since older people don’t spend as much money and are perceived to be more locked into their brand choices.)

Oh, then again, I just googled up this page about what Ads Amazon accepts which includes bans on: “Political party-related and/or issue-related messages”.  That is one weird list though.  It also includes: “Adult incontinence products”, “Baby formula”, “Caregivers”, “Charities and non-profit organizations”, “Financial Services”, and “Free non-Kindle ebooks” (hah!  Go figure!).

On the other hand, on this similar Roku page about ads, I see some overlaps with the Amazon guide lines such as:  tobacco, “adult” products,… but I don’t see all those oddly specific limitations that the Amazon list has.  Ie: no bans on politics, financial services, charities, and most of all – no ban on “Free non-Kindle ebooks”!! 😀  I suppose because of its size and clout, on FireTV, both the usual customer (advertiser) and Amazon are The Customer.

Banned but back. Because why not?
davidjazz
Roku Guru

@Strega2 

That's really interesting about Amazon prohibitions. Suggests that they are looking for that 18-25 demographic and want to avoid commercials that might turn them off. So no "old people" or "young parent" stuff.

In the 1980s, radio station WPEN in Philadelphia was called "The Station of the Stars." The station's programming was still big band and Great American songbook saloon singers. Their demographic skewed way older than any station in the area. As a result, their only advertisers were funeral parlors and "Preparation H"!

0 Kudos
Fronk
Channel Surfer

Thank you both Strega2 and davidjazz for taking a moment to reply. Much appreciated!

I wish I knew this about FireTV banning political ads before I got Roku. I would have TWO FireTV devices rather than one of each had I known.

I wish there was something I could do.

I already put my Hulu account on hold because the political ads there are bad as well. (both devices so I can't blame Roku there)

And to think... we're not even under a year out from elections. I'm not having it.

Thanks again

0 Kudos