Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nt3
Channel Surfer

STARZ app says needs updating?

Is anyone else having trouble viewing STARZ. I viewed it about 2 weeks ago, have a subscription, went out of town, then today when I tried to launch the app, it stated it needed updated. So I did that, and it still keeps telling me the same. I have no clue whether it was truly updated or not, but the channel does say it’s updated. Can anyone help? 

10 REPLIES 10
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: STARZ app says needs updating?

Hi @nt3

Thanks for the post.

In some cases, removing the affected channel and then reinstalling it helps. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
nt3
Channel Surfer

Thanks for your reply. After dealing with the problem last night, I also went to STARZ customer support. I have a Roku 1 (definitely need an upgrade). I had already uninstalled the app, added it back several times, rebooted my Roku, rebooted my internet; I had done everything humanly possible. And even though the STARZ app worked on my Roku when I subscribed to them, the Roku 1 doesn’t support the STARZ app. I guess it was just one of those flukes. So there’s nothing I can do other than buy a new Roku. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@nt3 wrote:

... I had already uninstalled the app, added it back several times, rebooted my Roku ...

Note that the order you are giving is not the correct order for what you're trying to accomplish.

The correct order is:

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

1,2,3. You described 1,3,2 which is the wrong order. Verify the order and see if the issue is resolved.

But yeah, a Roku 1 is probably due for an update. There are many apps that no longer support that device.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
nt3
Channel Surfer

Yes, I’m aware of the correct order, and I did just that. I  deleted the app, rebooted the Roku and added the STARZ app again. It was done several times. STARZ has already told me that they haven’t supported the Roku 1 for awhile, even though I viewed it just over 2 weeks ago. Thanks for your reply, but all efforts have been exhausted except for buying a new Roku.

I’m putting this to rest now.  

0 Kudos
rocukoo

Mine keeps saying the same thing. I think Roku needs to update the STARZ App. Tried to contact support, but im not elligible with a roku stick 😔

0 Kudos
nt3
Channel Surfer

I’d contact STARZ to double check if your particular Roku stick supports STARZ. You can also try to update the STARZ app on your tv using your Roku remote. Do that first before contacting STARZ. If it doesn’t update, more than likely your Roku stick doesn’t support STARZ any longer. Good luck! 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@rocukoo

Thanks for the inquiry.

What Roku model device are you using? Have you already tried checking for a channel update? You can check for a channel update, but navigating to the channel icon on the Home screen and pressing the * button.

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
ngatson3

1. Go to home screen

2. select the * button

3. select check for updates 

all channels will be updated 

nt3
Channel Surfer

@ngatson3 

1. Go to home screen

2. select the * button

3. select check for updates 

Not necessarily. To update a particular channel, go to that channel, then select the * button, select check for updates. That will update a channel if it can be. Older models of Roku simply no longer have that capability. 
Going to the Home Screen on Roku and doing what you suggested actually does nothing. 

Note: this issue has already been resolved last year. STARZ and other channels no longer support older Roku models. 

Thanks though. 

0 Kudos