Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notimeforthis
Channel Surfer

SO FRUSTRATING- Live TV channels gone, streaming channels mixed up

I've read through SO many posts and still cannot find a solution. No one from Roku will get back to me.  This is beyond frustrating at this point. 

A good month or so ago, my LIVE TV channels simply disappeared.  And then the streaming channels show up with no numbers. I've been so busy that I don't have HOURS to try to fix this.  

I did find out how to get the channel numbers back - but they are all jumbled and not in order, despite me selecting (several times) to sort them by number. 

AND STILL, I cannot find my live TV channels so I can just quickly flip on my local news or shows when I get home after a long day. 

I've spent hours reading through posts, and followed as many instructions as possible that I could follow - and nothing has worked. 

WHY can't they fix this?  I used to just have all my LIVE channels show up at the top, the streaming channels below.  WHAT was wrong with this set up and why can't ROKU just put it back that way?  

UGH.  I am going to have to get a different TV or TV service. 

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
skiddy56

Re: SO FRUSTRATING- Live TV channels gone, streaming channels mixed up

Just found the answer here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/Roku-updated-and-have-lost-all-my-Antenna-channels/m-...

Why Roku can't or won't default the antenna input to "antenna" is the question. 

Support can you give us a reason why this hasn't been done?

notimeforthis
Channel Surfer

Again, followed the instructions to a T (other than when I got to the part where you said to 'enable' Live TV, there was no option anywhere to enable it - it was simply in the list.)  and absolutely nothing happened, as is usual. 

I am so frustrated at this point with ROKU - I will be telling everyone I possibly can, NOT TO CHOOSE A ROKU TV.  I've not spent another 1.5 wasted hours tonight trying to fix this bullsh...

The live TV stations that show up are from all over the county, none of the channels I always watched.  Unbelievable. and NO responding from ROKU - who apparently doesn't give a **bleep**.  They hopefully will when the fed up users quit buying their products. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@notimeforthis 

Maybe some images will help.

1. You need to select the Live TV "Input" from the Home Screen to watch your Antenna/Local Channels.  Do not select Live TV from the left side Menu, or the purple icon labeled Live TV on the Roku Channel. (these are Roku Channel Streaming only and will not display locals.)  [image1]

2. If you do not see the Live Input on the Home Screen, go to Settings/TV Inputs and Enable it.  To enable it, just click on it (press OK) and select Setup Input.  [image2]

3. To avoid confusion with other Live TV selections, rename the Live TV Input to Antenna TV under Settings/TV Inputs/Rename. (this option allows user to change the input name and icon).  [image 3]

4. You should now see an Antenna TV tile Input on your Home Screen with an antenna icon. (this will be the tile you select in order to watch your locals and antenna content). [image 4]

5. If you want to keep your Antenna TV strictly for your local channels, then you can "hide" the streaming channels from Settings/TV Inputs/Manage Channels/Hide Streaming Channels.  When you want to watch streaming channels from the Roku Channel, you can select one of the other Live TV features (menu item, purple shortcut, or from the Roku Channel app).  [image 5]

6. When you hide all streaming channels, only the local channels are displayed after selecting the Antenna TV Input from the Home Screen. [image 6]

7. If you do not hide the streaming channels, then both the locals and streaming channels from the Roku Channel will be available via the guide. [image 7]

8. If you are selecting the wrong LiveTV, you will only see the streaming channels and no Antenna/locals. [image 8]

click on images to enlarge.

image 1image 1 image 2image 2

image 3image 3 image 4image 4

image 5image 5 image 6image 6

image 7image 7  image 8image 8

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

notimeforthis
Channel Surfer

Appreciate the post, BUT, I've done ALL these things - the Live TV icon is there - but my local channels from Duluth are nowhere to be found since the Roku update on 8/6/24.  No matter what I do.  

The 'local' channels that now show up are from Milwaukee, or states I am not in - I simply want my local channels back and no one from Roku can seem to figure it out.  

It is NOT my antenna- it's a newer one and was working perfectly fine, UNTIL the Roku update on 8/6. 

I can't even 'sort' the mess of channels that show up now- even when the Roku tech went through it with me.  My TV is newer as well, and its a Roku TV.  We've reset, gone through tons of stuff- and when Roku techs get to the end with me and see that its not working, they abruptly pass me on to another tech, which so far has not worked - and is greatly increasing frustration. 

Their programmers need to figure this out - there are a LOT of folks with the same problem. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@notimeforthis 

Can you post some images/screenshots (use the little camera icon available in the message box to upload here,  or link to some images) so we can get a better idea of what you are seeing?

While it is not unusual to occcasionally pick up an OTA station from another state (certain atmospheric conditions can temporarily allow a station/frequency to transmit much farther than usual), you should not be seeing OTA that is completely excluding channels within range of the antenna. (ie. your immediate locals).

Also, what were some of the troubleshooting steps you went through with Roku techs?  A little unclear what your issue and steps taken from your other postings.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
notimeforthis
Channel Surfer

It would take me two hours to type out all the steps I've taken - both from posts I've read, and from tech support. 

This morning, surprising, and without doing anything - my local channels seem to be back, and my streaming channels are now in numerical order.  Weird things - I assume when they took down my software info, they must have fixed something.  

However it happened - I'm relieved, as this was a real problem, a problem which created intense frustration - which may not have seemed that way to Roku, but it sure was for users.  I probably spent at least an hour, each night for a week, trying to figure it out - all that time that should have been spent doing other things.

I hope that their programmers take more time to test their next update before launching it so this stuff doesn't happen again. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.