Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DennyP

Roku use on older Panasonic TV

I am asking if a ROKU device will allow me to watch my netflix account on a older Panasonic plasma TV that does not support the streaming of the Netflix account now.  Some kind of adapter suggested needed?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Roku use on older Panasonic TV

If the TV has HDMI inputs, you can use any Roku device. If cost is an issue, I would recommend the Express 4K+. Do NOT get the regular Express, as it has too little memory and runs into constant issues.

0 Kudos
DennyP

Thanks, I am new to this and trying to make the right purchase and, of course, get some counsel on what might work.

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@DennyPAs the other member stated, Roku's connect via HDMI so the Panasonic will need to support 1080i (HD) in order to use it. If yours is 720p, it probably uses RCA composite connections which won't work with current Roku models. I owned a couple of Panasonic plasma and the switch to OLED is remarkable as is 4K resolution 🙂

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@jontalk wrote:

@DennyPAs the other member stated, Roku's connect via HDMI so the Panasonic will need to support 1080i (HD) in order to use it. If yours is 720p, it probably uses RCA composite connections which won't work with current Roku models. 

No Roku I know of has ever supported 1080i. All current models support 720p and 1080p, and the 4K models support 2160p. I had an older Panasonic plasma (ST30, 1080p) and it worked just fine with my Roku players at the time. 

There are plenty of 720p sets with HDMI inputs, so analog inputs are not really a sign the TV will not support a Roku. If there are no HDMI ports, then you are probably correct on that point. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos